Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

hi, dishwasher will not clean top rack at all. Ive checked

hi, dishwasher will not clean top rack at all. I've checked for obstructions in the sprayer arms on the middle and top, and they are clear. Some water is shooting from the middle arm, but none is coming from the top (I placed and empty cup in the top rack and it remained empty.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
What is your model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

du1100xtpt6

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
How much water is in the tub?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
none. draining seems to be working
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
When it fills, how full does the tub get? The spray arms are driven by water pressure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hmmm--last time i looked, the bottom was covered with 2 inches after it ran for 5 minutes--and the bottom rack is being cleaned normally.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
You may have a problem with your spray manifold or the chopper blade. If you pull out the upper rack is there a piece that opens the inlet to the middle spray arm, if missing, no water will spray. If the chopper blade breaks, the screen will clog not allowing sufficient water pressure to run the upper spray arms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've opened it. Looing straight into it, round hole with a pc of plastic centered vertically in the hole. It's there.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Then I would suspect your chopper blade #8268383 may be broken.If you remove the sprayarm, then the upper spray manifold, then the filter and the chopper cover, you will see the chopper blade and screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
remove the upper or the lowest spray arm? I've tried to remove the lowest ( a plastic screw in the center of the arm about 3/4" in diameter) but it won't come off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can yoiu point me to a website with complete breakdown of parts and exploded diagram?
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
If you hold it with a pair of pliers while spinning the spray arm, it will come off, exposing the filter,then you remove the upper spray manifold by turning it to the right and lifting. You can go to www3.sears.com and look up your model number.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

spin the arm clockwise or counter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
never mind, i got it. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
OK
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician