Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

GE refrigerater is too warm in the fridge but the top freezer

GE refrigerater is too warm in the fridge but the top freezer is cold
Is there frost on the back wall of the freezer? Is the fan running? What is your model number?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No frost on back wall. the freezer fan and lower" round " "condenser" fan behind service panel in back of fridge is running. there is no fan inside the fridge section. GE model # XXXXX Serial #MF307732 .

the fridge temp is 48 . freezer is 20. when we changed the fridge setting from a 5 to 9 it got down to 38 degrees. but temp rises to 45 with door open for 1 minute.

was thinking it was the fridge temp sensor itself, cant find one. Part # XXXXX Fridge temp control adjustment knob was suggested. is that the temp sensor for actual fridge temp?

the condenser fan part #WR60X10130 was making not loud but noticably different noise. checked fan, and found it seemed to have play in the motors shaft. I was going to replace it. fan noise normal after checking fan.

Thank You

Is the evap fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How warm is the condensor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
70 degrees
You may have a sealed system problem. Have you pulled off the back wall of the freezer to check the frost pattern? It should cover the entire evaporator.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the fan and condenser I was refering to earlier was the on the rear of the refridge(back of refridge) at the bottom behind the service panel where the AC plug is connected to power the unit.that was also the Temp I gave you.

I have just opened up the freezer back wall section,found the unit, no frost, its 30 degrees.and the fan is running.

Then you have a sealed system problem, unless it's under warranty it's a very expensive repair, and probably not worth doing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I relized that the temp was taken after having the door open while pulling the back wall apart.

So, I left the thermometer in there with the door shut.

There is frost across the all the fins and the temp is 15 degrees.

It should get down to zero degrees, is there any ice in the drain, or water in the bottom of the fresh food section?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

checked the temp again its 10 degrees. no ice in the drain, bottom of fridge is dry.

Is there air moving into the fresh food section? It probably won't work with the backwall off the freezer though.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put the freezer wall together, no air at all circulating in fridge section.
If the evap fan is running I would check for frost blockage on the inlet vent of the fridge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good Luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
after last suggestion i decided to unplug for 24 hours just to make sure everything defrosted and there was no blockages. unfortunately there is still no air blowing in the fridge. thank you for all your help but i think i need to have it looked at.