The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

hello- i have a kenmore water softener, model 370. its just

Customer Question

hello- i have a kenmore water softener, model 370. it's just over a year old. my problem is that it regenerates at about 1pm when i have it set to regernerate at 1am. i have unplugged the unit and let the computer reboot. that seemed to cure it for a while, but now it's doing it again. can you suggest an answer???

thanks

rob.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

When you unpplug the transformer does the display read h32 when you plug it back in again?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i unplug it and plug it back in, it does say "H32." it also says "j 1.1" in the screen below that.

Ok thank you.

Just wanted to make sure it was working as it should in that aspect.

I am reading thriough the manual to see if I can spot something you may have missed.

One thing that will cause the problem you are having is the power transformer. If it was somehow mixed up with another the power rateings may be diffrent. Please ensure that it is the correct transformer for the unit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is the original transformer. i have not changed it. my suspicion is the plc is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will check back later to see if you have any suggestions. thanks for the effort so far.

Ok I looked through the manual and you are correct in your assesment of the problem.

If the batteries are good and the power being supplied to the unit is correct then the only thing that would cause the plc to glitch like that is the plc itself.

The batteries being dead will cause te unit to loose its settings if the power failed. They are what maintain the settings during a power failure.

The unit recieving the incorrect voltage will cause all kinds of strange behavior.

The one thing that leads me to the same conclusion you have come to is the unit should default to 2am if the plc looses all power. the change to a pm setting says plc problem to me.

Best, THS

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i pull the power transformer out of the wall, the unit keeps the settings i have previously programmed. i tried to adjust the recycle time by an hour and set it for 1am. that worked for a while it seemed, but then i happened again. i set the recycle time for 2am. then it started to recycle today about 1pm. so, you agree the plc is the problem??

Yup sure do. There isnt anything that would change the time settings. that you did not test./ The batteries are good and the transformer is the correct one. That leaves the PLC.
Thank you for the accept.
Best, THS