Patrick, Handyman
Experience:  30 plus years commercial construction background and 23 plus years home improvements

My washing machine plumbing is 20 years old. I have just purchased

My washing machine plumbing is 20 years old. I have just purchased a new washer. It will not take the water when draining. It spurts out. It will take the spin cycle water, but not the draining between cycles. What is the matter.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Patrick replied 6 years ago.
Your drain line is most likely 1 1/2". New installations usually require 2" drains. The water being drained out with the new washer is most likely pumped out pretty fast and your drain cannot keep up. Less water is coming out with the spin cycle as well as less soap. You may want to try having your drain line snaked / augered to clear out any soap or lint build up. Do the same with the vent pipe to make sure it is clear. If this does not help you may need to get a larger drain installed for your washer. good luck. If this has proven helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.