Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

my lg tromm washer starts to add water then quits working and

my lg tromm washer starts to add water then quits working and displays the letters LE
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
The "LE" error means that the controller has sensed what it BELIEVES to be a "locked rotor condition" This usually means that the rotor position sensor, otherwise known as the "hall effect sensor" has failed. This is a VERY common problem with not only LGs but any machine that has this type of motor installed. Basically, the controller can no longer detect the position of the rotor on the drive motor. Unless you ACTUALLY have a physically locked motor (seized) which is very unlikely, you need to install a new hall effect sensor which for your machine is part # XXXXX which is available through Sears for $16.59. VERY easy to install, just remove the back panel and the single mounting bolt (k123) in the diagram on the end of the rotor on the motor, remove the rotor (k360) , remove the stator (k350), flip it over and remove the old and install the new sensor, (k351), and reinstall everything the way you took it off, plug the machine back in and youre done! EASY. This will fix the problem in 99.9 percent of all cases of false locked rotor conditions. Please let me know if you need further information!

Edited by Eric on 10/30/2009 at 3:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
Based on you description of the symptoms, there is no reason why it WONT work if you dont actually have a rotor that wont turn, unless a coil opened up in the stator, which is POSSIBLE but I have been working on these since they came out and have NEVER seen this happen. Further, I have seen MANY techs who did not know anything about these machines install a complete motor assembly or a complete stator for this problem, which also solves the problem but ONLY because the motor assembly or the stator assembly BOTH come with a new hall effect sensor, but now you have spent 10-15 times what you should have spent on the repair. The only other possibility is a failed controller, but I have also personnally NEVER seen a machine where this was the cause of an "LE" error and no other problems. This is a 16 dollar part and will only take MAYBE 15-30 minutes of your time to repair.