Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

Kenmore elite washer is dead. Checked power to board and it

Kenmore elite washer is dead. Checked power to board and it is good. No lights no codes nothing. Washed clothes last night and no problem. Did have electrical storm in area today but no blips in electricity. Could it be control board is bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
If the machine is completely dead with NO indication ie lights, sounds and such, the control board is the most likely failure, but it could also be the console board assembly (interface). The test information that will help you isolate the problem is located on the tech sheet, which should be under the console. you can access by removing the console. The control board is part #8577278R and is $89.99 from Sears, and the panel, depending on the color is as follows :(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor a white machine at $250.50, (NNN) NNN-NNNNfor a bisque machine at $228.98 and(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor a graphite machine at $211.13. Those part numbers can be used to order tha part at ANY part supplier, not just Sears.PLEASE let me know if you need any further information. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not think it is the panel. You mention the interface. I have the tech sheets out. Where is the interface located and how do I test? For continuity or ohms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The interface IS the panel. It is a user interface board integrated into the console/panel assembly. It is a relatively simple set of circuits, but susceptible to failure due to overvoltage/overcurrent. The test procedure is in the tech sheet. Because you said you had an electrical storm, you most likely blew the varistor on the main control board though which is the blue device pictured on the board .I have circled it in red. If the the surge made it into the low voltage side of the board , it could have also taken out the interface , I have seen this happen and it is never a happy moment, just a fact of life with these complicated controls.
graphic
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.