Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

dI have a GE Model #EWA2500AOWW washer and I need to know how

Customer Question

dI have a GE Model #EWA2500AOWW washer and I need to know how to get into the machine. I have the front off and am baffeled on where to go from here. There is a rattle in the spin cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Please double check that model number and make sure it is the number from the ID tag on the machine itself, not from documentation for the machine or anywhere else. The model number you provided is not coming up even after replacing the "O" after the "A" with an "0" .
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the number on the tag on the back side of the machine. EWA2500A0WW SN MA144354G Eterna Series
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thats better, thank you! How long have had this machine and how long have you been hearing this noise, and are you hearing the noise from the top or bottom area . Since you have the front off, you should be able to isolate the sound to a certain area of the machine. Just to confirm, this is ONLY during spin and NEVER during agitate, correct?
After knowing these things, I will be able to help you isolate the source of the sound and help you take the machine apart if need be.
Thanks !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The noise just started on the last wash yesterday (10/27/09) Can be heard from the top, front and bottom. Does not make a noise during the wash cycle only the rinse.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Sam!
Well based on the information you are giving me, the noise could be anything from a pump, tub bearing, suspension rod, motor , loose agitator, worn clutch, worn belt or mis-adjusted leveling foot on the chasis, loose bolts on the basket drive hub, cracked basket, loose flood hose etc. Are you simply trying to get instructions for complete disassmbly of the machine? If so, I am more than happy to provide those to you but it would be easier if we could isolate the sound to a specific area on the machine so that you do not do any unneccasary work. Are you able to hear the sound while running the machine with the front cover off? If so, where on the machine is the noise coming from. Top of tub, bottom of tub, motor, pump, chasis? I dont want to lead you in the wrong direction here.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With the front cover off, the noise seems to be coming from the gear box area, uder neath the tub assembly. If I could just see under the tub assembly, I could pin point the noise, but I don't know how to get top, back or sides off to see what is happening. I have a Kenmore and I remove some screws and lift the whole outside cabinet off. I am at a loss on getting the cabinet off.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again Sam!
Unfortunately for a noise localized in the area where the gearbox goes in to the tub,you either have a problem with the tub bearing or something stuck between the spinshaft on the gearbox and the basket drive hub or bottom of the tub INSIDE the tub. If the noise is unbearable, prepare youself for some real work here. For checking UNDER the spin basket for something stuck there, remove the top panel by removing the screws located at index 385 on the digram which is an L-shaped clip holding the top on to the front cabinet, then pull out and up on the top panel and remove it.
graphicNow you have access to the top of the tub assembly. You will need to remove the tub ring, which is index 329 on the second diagram by unsnapping it all the around the tub. Remove 327 and the 300 agitator as well. to remove the agitator, grab it at its base and pul FIRMLY upwards to unsnap it from the agitate coupler at #310. Now remove the bolt from the coupler and pull it off. At this point , it helps to have the special GE tub spanner nut tool so you dont damage it taking it off and putting it back on but you need to remove the spanner nut at #325 so you can then pull the basket off. Once off, you will be able to inspect the area where long debris FREQUENTLY gets trapped and causes noises and leaks, either one or both.
If nothing there, you need to remove the tub assembly from the machine completely to gain access to the gearbox, which must be removed to inspect and/or replace the tub bearing. It is bolted on the bottom of the tub. now you will need to remove the gearbox from the tub. It can ALSO be from the machine. To do this, remove all electrical connections from the motor and pump and the air hose from the pressure switch where it connects to the tub , isolating the tub assembly completely from the chasis and console, then lifting up on each corner of the tub near the bottom to unhook each one of the four the suspension rods , which will then free the tub assembly so you can remove it completely from the machine. Flip the whole assembly over and you can unbolt the tub from the mounting pedestal and remove the entire drive assembly from the tub, and the tub becomes free so you can replace the bearing. All of this sounds alot harder than it really is , and i would be more inclined to believe there is something stuck inside the tub before I would believe the bearing failed, but both are common and will produce similar symptoms, although something inside the tub will MANY times also produce a leak because the tub seal is in that area as well. Please let me know if you need further information on any of this .
Thanks!
graphic

Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information. The problem is the gear box. I junked the machine because of the expense of replacing the gearbox. I will pay the $24 for the information you provided but not $48. I don't know where the additional $24 came in, unless it was when I lost contact with you and tried reestablish contact. Again thank you for the information and your assistance. I will use your services again when I run into another problem.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Sam! Sorry about the confusion, I know there are some confusing parts in the customer interface and they are constantly improving it. It looks like you opened another question which I will contact customer service about and have removed. As far as the other $24.00, that is because of the separate question, and I know that you can either leave it on the books at Just Answer for future credits towards new questions if you prefer, but I don't have anything to do with that. I will definitley make customer service aware of your concern and they will take care of that for you.
As far as replacing versus repair on that machine, I agree with you 100 percent! For gearbox problems on a GE machine,cost wise its just not worth it. If youpick yourself up a cheap Whirlpool made unit, they are JUST as good as the top-of-the-line Whirlpools and MUCh easier and cheaper to repair, and are MUCH more reliable. Just stay away from GE altogether. Just my 3.7 cents worth!
It has been my pleasure helping you and you have yourself a great evening.
Thanks again for using our service!