John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My kenmore 80 series dryer wont start. It makes a sound, I

My kenmore 80 series dryer won't start. It makes a sound, I opened it up cleaned any dust out, when I push the button the inside attempts to turn but won't. The belt is still in tact but seems hard to turn manually. Do you have any ideas what it could be? Thank you, Krista

Hi Krista.

Have you tried to turn the motor shaft without the belt on the motor pulley.

When you push the start button does the motor just hum

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I have not tried turning the motor shaft without the belt on the motor pully. Yes the motor does just hum when I push the start button.
Try that see if the motor starts if you try that and it still hums the problem is a seized up motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try that, and get right back to you, thank you so much!
Ok talk later.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I hit the accept button now or when we are done?
Thats up to you.Are you going to replace the motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be worth it to replace the motor? I looked at the back and have no idea how to get the belt off , do I remove the front or the back?
Take the lint filter out and remove the two screws.The top has a spring clip at each corner.Use a screwdriver and push in at the clips this will release the top.You will see two screws holding the front on Remove the front.Now you can take the drum out and replace the motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Took out drum and removed belt from motor and it started fine. I did hear some squeaking from a little wheel right above the motor.

That would be the drum rollers.Replace both and also the pulley that the belr rides on if its worn.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much! I thought I bit off more than I can chew. Myhusband thought I was crazy, he's going to be surprised. Now if I can remember to put it all back together I'm in good shape! :)
Thank you again,

Thank you.

If you have a problem get back to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, well I replaced the rollers and it runs for about 2-3 min and then stops again. when I push the start button it just hums again. Could it possibly be the belt is too loose? or should I replace the motor?With the drum off completely it runs fine but motor seems to make a little bit of a noise as if it is still squeaking a a bit.and oiled everything as instructed.
If your motor has a noise like that its bad bearings, Thats why without a load it will be ok, But once the belt is on theres the load.So yes the motor will have to be replaced.