Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

I just reinstalled my electric clothes dryer after a move and

Customer Question

I just reinstalled my electric clothes dryer after a move and in the new house it does not get very hot
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello athiker200! My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am happyto help you today!
Please give me the model number from the tag just behind the door. It will start with either a 110 or 417. Please enter it in the form xxx.xxxxxxx WITH the decimal, otherwise the security filters will consider it a phone number and block it. Thanks! Eric

Edited by Eric on 10/28/2009 at 3:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's electric
the model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Sorry about asking if it was gas or electric, I just saw that you already indicated that in your first post and I tried to edit that part of the question out before you saw it! I guess I need more coffee and better glasses! Cool
Ok. First thing I would like you to do is remove the small panel in the rear of the dryer that covers the point where the power cord goes into the machine. There you will see the power terminal block that looks like this :
graphic

Please check that ALL connections there are tight with the the main power DISCONNECTED from the wall, then connect the cord to the wall and measure the voltage between both OUTSIDE terminals. Should be around 240VAC. Now, measure the power between one of the OUSIDE terminals to the CENTER terminal, then the OTHER ouside terminal to the CENTER terminal. On both of those pairs, you should read around 120VAC. This is important because your dryer CAN run with a problem here and COULD even produce SOME heat, or even NO heat but still run. If the dryer was working fine at the old place but now only produces SOME heat, if I understand your description of the symptoms, this is a VERY likely cause. Many times a lower than normal voltage or incorrect voltage at this point is caused by worn or failed breakers, so check you breakers carefully. They may not have tripped, but simply cant coduct correctly anymore. Flip the breaker HARD-OFF, then HARD-ON and see if that helps. Also a miswired outlet can cause it. Please check as described and let me know if this does not apply and we will check for other possibilities.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am trying these things now, thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here are my results.
All connections at the dryer are tight.
The voltage between the outside terminals (shaped like a | ) is 120.
I have 4 prongs on the male piece (dryer cord).
The voltage between the left outside and bottom center (shaped like an upside down L) is 120
The voltage between left outside and top center (shaped like a circle) is 240
The voltage between the right outside and bottom center is 0
The voltage between the right outside and top center is 120.

Here are the colors of the wires at the wall recepticle:
- red goes to top center
- white goes to right
- black goes to left
- copper goes to bottom center
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here are my results.
All connections at the dryer are tight.

- red goes to top center
- white goes to right
- black goes to left
- copper goes to bottom center

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
So it sounds like you have a 4 wire (newer style) setup. the only difference between that and the THREE wire setup is the addition of a TRUE isolated earth ground which allows true (safer) grounding of the circuit instead of grounding through the neutral.
Based on what you are telling me, your receptacle is miswired. This ASSUMES that the electrician who wired the receptacle followed code from the box. AT THE RECEPTACLE ON THE WALL, the WHITE wire should be a NEUTRAL and be on TOP ("L" shaped") The RED and BLACK should be on the OUTSIDe terminals, (should not matter which, both are 120VAC lines) the BARE or GREEN wire should be on the BOTTOM(earth ground).

On the DRYER terminal block(as I described in my first post) ,regarding the wires from the 4-wire power cord TO the terminal block, the red and black go on the OUTSIDE terminals, the WHITE goes in the center and the GREEEN gets connected to the GREEN grounding screw on the machine itself (in the picture, the green wire from the power cord is on the center terminal, which is INCORRECT for a 4-wire system. That picture was for identification of the terminal block only) . IF there is a bare copper strap going from the center (neutral ) terminal on the dryer to the chasis of the dryer, it MUST be removed for a 4-wire system.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the trick.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!
Thank YOU for using our service and have a great day!