Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

my maytag mer577sqaw oven the bake dont work but the broil

Customer Question

my maytag mer577sqaw oven the bake dont work but the broil work
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Very likely you simply need to replace your bake element with part number 74011117, but you should check two thing first AFTER first unplugging the unit:
1) Get a meter and check th element for continuity and/or resistance in the VERY low range, usually less than 100 ohms or so across its two terminals after removing it from the connections on the machine. Also check it visually for obvious burn spots and damage, but the electrical test is more definitive.
2) Use the meter to check the leads TO the element to make sure you have 240VAC between the wires. If not, check the oven temp sensor for continuity with the meter and if THAT is ok, and everything else is working in the oven as you said, you will need to replace the ERC (electronic range control).
Please let me know if you need further information!
Thanks!

If both of the above check ok, then take your meter and check the oven temp sensor by removing it and ohming it with your meter
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank i check it out
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!
Just to clarify what may me obivious, the voltage check I mentioned above requires you to plug the machine back in and set the oven on a bake cycle during testing. VEry easy, just be careful with live circuits.
Thanks again and have a great day!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is one element
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hi!
What do you mean "there is one element" ? Are you saying there is only one element in the machine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes at the top
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
That explains why your bake doesnt work then!
You seem to be missing the lower element completely, as this is the bake element and the machine will not bake without it. Be very careful here because I do not know where the wires are going without the element in place and one could short to ground. unplug the machine and find out where the wires are, then test them using the method I gave above and then order yourself the 74011117 element.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i found it . it was coverd up
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Great! Covered by a lower panel?