Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

kenmore elite compared to whirlpool duet

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hi ya Chesterj,

Kenmore does not make any appliances.
Kenmore has them made for them by the major manufactures.
Most Kenmore elites are Whirlpool products. If you see that the Kenmore Elite looks just like the Whirlpool Duet, that's because it is a Whirlpool Duet. Perhaps with only slight changes of minor feature. What are you looking for in a washer. Per haps I can suggest something most people are unaware of.

Edited by Neilwill on 10/27/2009 at 1:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Kenmore elite is a little higher prced. If there is no difference at all, I don't want to pay the extra money. The reviews stte that the elite is a quieter model. I knew they were made by the same manufacturer, so what aI really wnat to know , are they better quality. why the price difference?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Kenmore is No better quality than Whirlpool. it is in my oppinion only a shell game.
You just pay more for Kenmore because Kenmore has a name that gets more money.
People shop names and buy Kenmore. Though not better than the same washer by Whirlpool.
On occasion Kenmore may aske whirlpool to add a feature for what ever reason.
If you want the best mahine on the market then read about Speed Queen laundry!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a manager of a 67 year old family appliance store. and I have the answer for you.
The washer and dryer you are looking for is a Speed Queen laundry pair.
They make front and top load washers and dryers.
The best machines on the market and almost never mentioned in Consumer Reports.
My customers come to me asking, doesn't some body make a washer that will last more than 10, even 14 years anymore?

Speed Queen is my answer. They are Commercial machines tested to wash 8 loads a week for 25 years. With a 3 year parts and labor warranty compared to all the others what give 1 year warranty now a day. And ten years warranty on the transmission, compared to one year the others give. The Speed Queens transmission has only 6 moving parts that are all stainless steel, gears and all. Not plastic gears and parts as the other brands have. The wash tubs are all stainless steel and the inner tub that you do not see, that holds the water is iron coated with porcline, rather than the competition inner tubs that are plastic. The top loaders use only 36 gallons of water compared to the 48 - 54 gallons of the competition. The front loaders by Speed Queen use ONLY 13.9 gallons. Their washers spin at 300 G- force and the laundry comes out of the washers only damp, not wet like all the other brands.
The dryers always spin at 220 CFM lint or no lint. This means that the laundry dryers in half the time from the competions machines. Half the time in the dryer means half the Gas or Electric used to dry each load. Which means half the cost to dry a load of wash rather than using the competitions dryers and washer.

Should I go on?
The have an auto balancing system and never get out of balance, even on a 15 degree sloped floor. Thes may be the last washers and dreyers you buy. I'm 54 and n 25 years of marrige went though 3 washers and dreyers until I found my Speed Quenns. Now i'm good till i'm 79 years old
Speed Queen's history, dating to 1908

Click here to read about these amazing laundry machines.
http://www.speedqueen.com/

Edited by Neilwill on 10/27/2009 at 1:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do the big chain stores - Lowes, Home depot, Sears- carry them?

Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
No.

Go to www.speedqueen.com and click on Home laundry.
there you can use their retail store locater.

Edited by Neilwill on 10/27/2009 at 1:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Speed Queen is not an option. My choices are Kenmore elite he 5 with steam and Whirlpool duet with steam. I need someone who has experience working on these washers and can tell me which one is the most reliable.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello, the Kenmore HE5 is made by Whirlpool this having been said your question was which one is more reliable? I have worked on both duets and Kenmore's, the most reliable one is the duet. for some reason the HE5 has a problem with the control board which shuts the machine down. have come across this problem many times. Have not seen too many common problems with the duet.
In the humble opinion of this service guy with 30 years experience buy the Duet. Hope this helps. Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Are there any other questions I can answer for you today? if not please don't forget to hit the accept button. Thanks! Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You really haven't helped. You wrote an advertisement for speed queen. I looked up the reviews and they were terrible. so now I find it hard to trust your judgement. You said go with the duet - after I didn't agree with your ad -so I really don't know anymore than when I started.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Actually that was another expert, he opted out and I took over and recommended the duet. Your questions was on the reliability between the kenmore and the duet. My name is XXXXX XXXXX other expert was Neil. I would stay right away from amana/matag. Like I said over the years I believe the duet to be a more reliable machine. If you have any other questions please feel free to comment again. Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.