How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Tech Larry Your Own Question
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 19183
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Tech Larry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Sharp Microwave model R-1870F. We set it for time

Resolved Question:

I have a Sharp Microwave model R-1870F. We set it for time bake and left. When we returned it had baked OK but the unit was dead. I checked and fuse inside the microwave was blown (250v - 20 amp). I looked over the wiring inside and nothing looked shorted. I installed a new fuse and started the microwave. It made a loud buzzing sound and blew the new fuse immediately.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
did you smell a electrical odor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I did not smell electrical odor. That was the first thing I checked. There was no storms at the time either. I owned an alarm company so I am competent with meters and such if you want me to check anything.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
sorry to be so long ,, have to take my insulin ,,, it will be eather a diode, capacitor or hi-voltage transformer ,, all these parts are hi-voltage so you need to read this before you get into it ,, here is links to the parts:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=R-1870&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0958&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=CABINET%20PARTS&documentId=50020288&blt=06

be careful and should if you need me / larry

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



/!\ WARNING

ELECTROCUTION HAZARD
HIGH VOLTAGE

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven.
Appliance Tech Larry and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions