Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

I work for whirlpool in Cleveland TN. I have a wide by side

Customer Question

I work for whirlpool in Cleveland TN. I have a wide by side fridge - water in door stopped working and now fridge portion is too cold - things are freezing in there. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Is the evap fan working? Your inlet damper may be frosted open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do hear a fan or motor running, but not sure the best way to tell if it's the evap fan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did take out the water filter and replace it with the plastic bypass valve - but still no water in the door.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well - waited for a few minutes and now I get water in the door and in the ice trey. So, what do you think? Was the filter backed up? It was due to be replaced in November, but I wouldn't think it would stop up.

Do I still have to pay the 14$?
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
I think your water reservoir was frozen, or possibly the filter.That doesn't solve the freezing problem though. Check behind the crisper drawer, that is where the air return is, there should be a plastic flap that keeps the freezer air from going back into the fresh food section and freezing things in the drawers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think you are right about the reservoir. When we got up this morning, the water again didn't work, and the fridge temp was 10 degrees. We left the door open for a little while and then the water started working again. Asume something thawed. But a leak by the filter now appeared (upper right of fridge) - drops and also a pin hole one spraying. I removed the bypass, and then I had water everywhere. So I turned off the water. The place where the filter attaches is rather poorly engineered and I wonder if by removing the filter, I've got two problems now - something causing the freezing up and also a water leak at the filter.

You mentioned the plastic flap - did you want me just to check to see if it's there? I do see a area behind the drawers, but no plasic flap. Not anything we've removed in the last few days either.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How hard is it to get to that part? Do you access it from the fridge side? If I do get it out, is there a way to test if that is for sure the problem? Hate to spend 40$ on a part and just hope it was the problem.

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
You access it from the fridge side. If you remove the pieces in front of it, you can do a visual inspection to see if the small door is frosted open or out of place. If the door were left open, frost would accumulate around the opening.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so I removed the panel and saw the little door open. Not sure how it should move, but there was some ice built up. I got a hair dryer and heated up the area. I then turned off the fridge and the door closed. I turned it back on and it opened. I'm trying to leave it alone to see if it gets to temp if it will close again. Any other suggestions? I've appreciated your help.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like you have solved the problem.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Your Welcome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the water in the door wasn't working, I took off the water filter and put in the bypass plastic valve. In doing that, somehow I created a small leak by the water filter head. Now it leaks, small drips, if the water is on and either the filter or bypass is connected. So much so, that I cannot leave the water on. Any suggestions on addressing that leak, or do I need to replace the entire head?
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Check for an out of place o-ring