Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

need help my maytag washer is spilling water out while washing

Customer Question

need help my maytag washer is spilling water out while washing cycle is running , when I open the lid tub and agatitor are moving in the same direction making a wave of water rise over the top of the tub spilling onto the floor???Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to help you today!
Please give me the model number of the machine and we can get started. Depending on the age of you Maytag, this could be located under the lid on the top panel, on top of and just behind the console, or one of the side panels down nearthe bottom.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello it,s number under lid 35 5369 its a performance 4 speed 16 cycle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what else is needed what do I do now??
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! Unfortunately that is not the model number, the model number should begin with some letters but I assume by "performance" you meant "performa" and that helps slightly.
When your cycle is complete, is there STILL water in the tub and the clothes are sopping wet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PAV 3300 aww goes thru cycle fine close not wet at all.. just when wash adatiator is going and outer tub spins counter clock wise together making water go over the side of the tub and flood the floor
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
I must opt out because my main computer has just crashed and I now only have access through my Blackberry which is extremely frustrating. I will open this question up to another tech while I attempt to resolve this problem. Please stand by and another tech will be right with you........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but I think that the tub should not be moving while on a wash cycle only on a spin cycle
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about thatCustomer i have resolved my problem and and back to 100 percent! Thanks alot for your patience!
Yes, you are correct, the tub should be stationary during the wash cycle and if it is not but everything else seems to be working ok (spin ok, not overfilling during initial fill, drain ok) , your brake has failed. It is located just above the drive pulley on the bottom of the machine and requires a special tool to install. You can verify this by trying to turn the basket by hand when the machine is off. It should by very hard to turn , if at all. You can ALSO check this below by turning the main drive pulley by hand with the belt off the machine. In ONE direction, it should turn pretty easily by hand but in the other direction, you should feel the brake engaged, but with some effort and continuous rotation, should feel the brake disengage while you keep up the speed which you are turning that pulley.This means the brake is WORKING and this brake remains engaged by default during agitation. I think you will find that by checking BOTH ways I mentioned, both tests will fail and you must replace the brake assembly. PLEASE let me know if you need any more informaton about this.
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.