Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

The flame is too low on my cooktop. Even on high setting all

Customer Question

The flame is too low on my cooktop. Even on high setting all burners are really low flame. It was converted to propane and I unscrewed the cap on the regulator and flipped it around for natural gas. I have to get the right fitting for my manometer to be able to properly check the in/out pressures. What is the proper inlet/outlet pressure for a dacor cooktop model#gc46b? Could the pressure regulator be bad? Could their be a plug in the manifold? Is there another step in converting it back to natural gas that I skipped? If someone could answer this for me I would really appreciate it. Thank you- Garrett from slo,cal
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Are you trying to run it on propane?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, natural gas
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

You have to change the burner orifices. The natural gas should be running about 6" WC.

You also may have to adjust the low flame setting.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
low flame setting?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
There is an adjustment that needs to be made when a cooktop is converted to propane. There is a screw inside the valve shaft to adjust the low setting, although half the time it never gets adjusted from the factory setting for natural gas. You would only have to adjust if the flame goes out on the lowest setting.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the flame didn't go out on the lowest setting. where do i get natural gas orifices for this particular stove? and what size will they be?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Look up factory authorized servicers in your area on Dacor's website. Different burners take different sizes. Not much documentation on converting LP to natural gas, 99% of the time it's the other way.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll probably just end up drilling the orifices out myself, or hucking the stove and buying a new one. Thanks for your helpLaughing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I drilled out the holes with the tiniest drillbit I could find... and it works PERFECTLY!!! thanks Dave. I know you couldn't tell me to do that, but your first response was to change the orifices and sometimes you have to work with the tools you have. Thank you so much for your help - Garrett
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Your Welcome