Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

My washer is overfilling and flooding my whole laundry room

Customer Question

My washer is overfilling and flooding my whole laundry room floor. Now that it is drained, when I push the wash button it starts to vibrate like it is full but there is no water. Something similar happened when our washer was about 4 months old, it is now 4 yrs old. The Tech who fixed it said a little piece of plastic clogged some tiny hole somewhere that was making it do that. Does that sound familiar?? Could it be something else?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like you water level switch is bad. If you remove the console you should see a clear tube that connects to the water level switch. If you remove it from the switch and blow through it, the tube should be clear. If it is clear and your washer won't fill, or won't stop filling , the switch is bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The tube had a small amount of some gummy substance in it, now that it is clear the washer fills up. We're doing a test wash to see that fixes it.

Although now the hot water coming in to fill the load is coming in VERY slowy, it has never done that before . . . could I have messed something up to make it do that?

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The inlet screen to the hot water valve may be clogged, the low flow may have allowed the leakage problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much - this was very helpful!!
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Your Welcome