Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

Modification question. I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer with a separate

Customer Question

Modification question. I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer with a separate dryer booster fan rated at 50W. It uses a pressure sensor to switch it on which has proved unreliable. I would like to wire the booster fan direct to the dryer motor relay. Details of the wiring aside, will the relay handle the extra 0.4 amps current? Thanks. -Jim Ockner
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you with this today!
I would definitely NOT reccomend adding any load to the relay on that control board. Those boards have enough problems staying reliable as they are. If you are unhappy with the performance of the pressure switch on your booster, and it sounds like you are pretty technically and mechanically inclined, I would simply rig up a small air vane inline with the airflow and then mechanically attach that to a microswitch in place of the pressure switch, or a current-sensing switch attached to the L1 of your dryer power supply with a stand-alone relay for the 50 watt load.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was worried the sail switch would never shut off after it was initially triggered since the dryer blower air has to trigger it and the booster just increases the airflow after that.

The current sensor with stand alone relay I looked into but got bogged down trying to find the parts. If you have any suggestions as to where to find them, that would be great. Thanks.

Jim Ockner

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Good point about the sail switch!! Another idea is to add a SEPARATE relay that is activated by the control board relay OUTPUT, or a thermal switch on the motor, or maybe a triac in series with the motor relay INPUT??. That would draw far less current . I will keep thinking on this. As far as suppliers, you could try Radio Shack but I like Suburban Electronics - www.suburban-elect.com.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Eric,

I like the idea of the separate relay off the board output. Very clean and easy. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Jim Ockner

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
No problem! Just remember this is a fairly unorthodox procedure but it definitely sounds like you know what you are doing and you think like I do, so it IS a safe one. Good luck and have a great day!