Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I need a replacement handle for the drawer on a frigidaire

Customer Question

I need a replacement handle for the drawer on a frigidaire electric flattop range, gallery series. The holes on the drawer are 14 inches apart. Unfortunately, the sticker with the model number has been destroyed. Can you point me in the right direction to find this part?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
If you upload a few GOOD QUALITY pictures of your unit, I will ATTEMPT to help you find what you are looking for. To upload documents, press the button in your panel that looks like this :
graphic
and follow the prompts.
Please bear in mind that this is the "hard way" to do this, so any numbers from the ID tag and all information you can give me about the unit are VERY helpful.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I mentioned, the ID tag has been destroyed. The range is in the Frigidaire Gallery series, and says "Dual Radiant Baking and Roasting; Self-cleaning" on the control panel. The color is almond, and the drawer has holes 14 inches apart, as well as 1 hole centered between the side holes. Thet is all the info I have.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
ThanksCustomer
I understand your situation completely
and will be more than happy to help you as I said, but i will need to see the machine, because for the purposes of part ordering, the information I have is just not enough to ENSURE that I give you the correct information. So are you able to follow the last instruction and upload detailed pictures of the machine so I can attempt to cross reference it to other known machines?
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try to do this in the next few minutes - I have to take the images and upload to you - back in a few!
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
sounds good!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
ThanksCustomer I got the (2)two pictures.! I see 1 other place holders for pictures but the picture is not showing, so Im not sure if you uploaded a total of 3 pics, but i will go to work to try to find your part now. Just to verify, you need the handle for the lower drawer, NOT the oven door, correct? This may take some time so please be patient while I go to work on this.
Thanks!

****edit*** got another picture, the system may be a little slow today. THANKS

Edited by Eric on 10/23/2009 at 6:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct, I need the handle for the lower drawer, not the oven door. I must leave for an appointment in a few minutes, but will check my email in about an hour for any update you may have. Thanks for taking this on!
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
No problem!
And since we last talked, i now have all three of you pictures.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Back at the computer - any luck on the drawer handle for my Frigidaire range?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
I have found several machines that match exactly in appearance, now im just trying to match one up to a valid model number so I can get a part number from the catalog. Its gonna take some more time , but i am working on it. Like i said before, this is DEFINITELY the "hard way" of doing this but I love a good challenge. This machine is approximately 11 years old, so there is a good possibility the part my end up NLA, but we will see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Eric. I will be waiting for your next (hopefully successful) response, and will check my email later today.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Well, I have played detective for a long time today and have come up with several machines that match yours almost EXACTLY, based on the ERC configuration, knob placement, switch placement and came up with machines in the FEF378XXXXXX (so far the CLOSEST match to your machine)  model line except that the handle on the drawer has holes closer to the outside of the drawer panel (2 on each side of the handle) instead of 2 holes 14" apart and one in the center. That was in the FEF377 and FEF378 model lines where  I was able to match up several other replacemnet parts visually based on your picture for identificaion. The PROBLEM is that while almost everything ELSE seems to match up in some of the candidates, your drawer mounting configuration looks alot more like the drawer handle in a FEF45XXXXXX model line (thats the ONLY thing that matches though, and I still cant be sure if this is getting me any closer)  so I am trying to match up other parts visually and then compare the part numbers for the handles, then attempt to find pictures of them to verify. ANother possibility I am considering is whether or not the OEM door was subbed to the panel only design which incorporates a handle molded into the panel. The machine in the picture (NOT an FEF377 or 378)  is ALMOST  exactly like yours, but I was unable to match it up to a model number so I went on another hunt to find that lower drawer panel and found part #316084406 which is an almond colored lower drawer panel for the machine in the picture, of course this is ALSO based on pictures only as we both know. There is no way to know if replacing your entire panel with this one to make it look like the one in the picture is possible either, and we dont have dimensions on the NEW panel to be more sure. I was really hoping to be able to give you the EXACT model number for your machine AND a part # XXXXX that handle, but I think the best I am going to be able to do is come up with a close-enough match for the machine model number and the right part number for the handle, because  manufacturers use identical part numbers across several of their model lines and thats probably the best we can do unless we get lucky.Also, just to let you know, ALL of the possible handles I have checked have been running between $50-$75 and some were on backorder, so i dont know if that is within the range you were willing to spend but I never assume anything. The reason why I am even bringing that up is because the picture below which is so far the closest match to yours is selling for $85 on Craigslist (but its in Ann Arbor , I dont know where you are and I am in Seattle :))  right now, thats where the picture came from and I also usually sell old machines like yours for anywhere between $65-$100 used when I run across them for refurb.Ill keep trying.
graphic
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your efforts, Eric. You have gotten much farther than I was able to. Please let me know if/when you think you have found a match.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
No problemCustomerand thank you !
Enjoy your weekend!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Eric,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able, with the beginning model letters "FEF" that you gave me, to find the machine in the owner's manual section of the Frigidaire.com web site. It is model FEF389, and the handle is indeed a full width handle, and is available in several parts sites. Thanks for getting me the starting info (the first 3 letters of the machine), and have a great day!

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
I agree that the machine is DEFINITELY an FEF3XXXXXXX because they use the same ERC, switch placement etc, but as far as the numbers AFTER, that is where I ran into some doubts, ONLY because when I looked at the handles , I found that the screw holes would most LIKELY not match up to the ones in your drawer (cant be sure though) . Please take a look at the NNN-NN-NNNNat THIS LINK. (almond colored drawer handle for MANY of those FEF3XXXXXXXX's that have a removable handle and youre right, they are widely available) . This is probably the part number you also found.
It shows that the handle is 28" long (good) but if you look at the screw holes, they dont look like they will be in the same place as you need. SO, that is where I had my doubts. I was GOING to reccomend that you get one of these ONLY if you were willing to just make new holes that line up with the ones in the new handle, but I truly wanted to get you the EXACT FIT part , hence the detective work continued Cool. If you are going to get this, I would be very interested in hearing how it worked out. It SHOULD be just fine. It IS possible that the INNER most holes on that handle will line up with those outer holes on your drawer, but I cannot tell. That handle has four screw holes, two each placed aproximately 2" and 7.5" from each end of the handle.
This was a fun challenge and I am STILL HOPING to get even closer to the truth, like agent Moulder or Dr. House MD Smile

Thank YOU again and have an awesome weekend as well !