Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

Where can I find a wiring diagram/troubleshooting instructions

Where can I find a wiring diagram/troubleshooting instructions for a Bosch SMU7056 dishwasher?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
There should be a wiring diagram in the bottom right corner behind the kickplate. What is the full model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks.

The model is SMU7056UC/14

I found the wiring diagram where you said it would be. I checked the wiring and it looks correct. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do next?

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
How deep is the water in the tub when it finishes filling?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It appears the tub won't fill. The dishwasher comes on. The timer advances, but then the timer stops advancing about 40 seconds in. I think it's still trying to drain and never gets to the next step of filling. If I push QUICK WASH and RINSE & HOLD at the same time to reset the program cycle, the timer will cycle all the way through back to the beginning.

If I then hit normal wash and start it again, the timer again appears to hang up about 40 seconds in.

Any thoughts?

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It sounds as if you have a bad fill valve, these older fill valves had the water level sensor built into the valve.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a way to test the valve? The dishwasher was working fine a few days ago. Before I replaced the wiring harness, I could jiggle the wiring harness so the black wire made contact and the machine would come on and run through it's cycle normally. Is there a reason replacing the wiring harness would have affected the valve or am I just unlucky?

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Can you check the valve for 120 volts to verify correct hook-up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I just went back to the dishwasher I realized I misspoke. The timer is moving forward slowly, The tub just isn't filling. At least not filling quickly. There's some water in the bottom of the tub, but not nearly up to the heating coil. If I manually add water, it circulates around.

I can test the valve for 120 volts. At what point in the cycle should I test it? I'm resetting the program now.

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The dishwasher is supposed to drain first, then fill. There is a filter on the inlet of the valve. You didn't remove the dishwasher and turn it on it's side, did you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, I didn't remove the dishwasher, and I didn't turn it on it's side. I forced it to reset the cycle and it completely drains.

With power off, the resistance at the water inlet is about 1000 ohms.

When the cycle starts, there's about 20 volt at the water inlet. It goes up to 120 volts about 1 minute in. I found a timing chart for this dishwasher online. It looks like voltage goes to the inlet when it should.

When there is voltage to the pump, though, there doesn't appear to be water entering the dishwasher. If if flip the door catch and open the door with the dishwasher on, there isn't any water coming down from above and there's just the slightest spurts of water coming up from the lower spray arm (which is stationary when I look in)

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
1000 ohms is far too high, you need to replace the water valve. If there isn't enough water the unit won't work correctly, the spray arms are driven by water pressure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, but are you sure? I've attached the wiring diagram I retrieved from under the dishwasher. It shows 990Ω across the water inlet, doesn't it?graphic
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
If you get 120 volts at the solenoid and no water, you have a faulty water valve.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK. I'll order the valve and replace it. Thanks for your help

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Your Welcome.