Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

water is coming back into my dishwasher even though I dont

water is coming back into my dishwasher even though I don't run it and it is dirty water
Do you have an air-gap? If not you need to make sure the drain hose gets looped up as high as possible under the sink to keep the water fromsiphoning back into the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no air gap and there is a loop[ in the drain hose that goes from under the sink to the top. Also the garbage disposal that it is hooked into is clear and ran regularly. Its almost like it is siphoning back but if the d/w hasn't been run, where is the water coming from?
Somehow there is a siphon being created. Are you sure it's not a leaking inlet valve?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the water is dirty and if the water valve is leaking wouldn't it overflow the dishwasher?
Eventually it would fill the tub and overflow, it just depends on how fast it was leaking water. If it were the valve you would see water coming from the inlet. Is the drain loop as high as it can go inside the cabinet, up alongside, so it's completely above the disposal and most of the sink?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it is above the garbage disposal & the sink
Then it shouldn't be siphoning back into the dishwasher. Have you checked the inlet to see if it's wet. You can also try turning off the water valve and see if it stops.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try that. thanks
Your Welcome.