John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Tappan KTM2893-80B Signature 2000 gas stove. The

Customer Question

I have a Tappan KTM2893-80B Signature 2000 gas stove. The 2 right side burners ignite when turned on. The two on the left stopped working. Is this a module issue?
Thanks
Dave
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It's probably not the ignition module. If it's sparking at any ignitor, the module's working correctly. I suggest that you clean the ignitors on the burners that are not lighting, with a toothbrush and a degreasing solution, such as 409. When the ignitors are clean, buff the tips with fine sandpaper or a nail file. Please post back with the result.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked over things and cleaned the ignitors. This is what I found out. The ignitors work on the left side IF I short the opposite one out(on that side I use a screwdriver to do it and then the front one works if I short the back....if I short the front one out, then when I turn the front knob on , the back one works and lights.) If I do not short any out on the non working left side, all I get is one ignitor from the RIGHT side clicking!(and no lighting) Once again...the right side burners on this work fine. IF I short one of the ignitors on the left side , then I can have one of those lighting when I turn on the front gas knob. I know these things are wired weirdly! I found this on the web...do not really follow the whole thing..though...thanks! Any thoughts?

Diagnosing a non-sparking can be frustrating. With some simple understandable of how the module and related parts work, diagnosis can be made easier.

The module receives 120VAC from the ignition switches are wired in parallel, meaning that each switch can activate the module. Power (L1) comes into the first switch then jumps tot eh second, onto the third, and so on. L1 passes through the switch then outward to the module. The outgoing L1 is weird the same way as the incoming, with the exception that it goes to the spark module. With this understanding, ignition switch is turned on individually. Should one switch appear to be nonfunctional, check the switch. Should a couple of switched appear not to be working, check for loose wires between the switches. This only applies to non- reignition type systems.

The module, once it receives the L1 voltage from the switches, energizes the coils to produce approximately 12000-14000 VDC to the burners. The coil sends the voltage out via the igniter wires to the igniter where the spark jumps to the burner base. Voltage then passes through the burner to the grounding strap, through the chassis to the opposite grounding strap, to the burner base. The voltage jumps from the burner base to the igniter (that's right from the base to the igniter), passing back through the igniter wire, to the coil, thus completing the coil operation circuit. The coils in the module are balanced based on impedance or resistance. The coils are wired so that the left front and right rear burners are on one coil; the left rear and right front are on the other. Knowing about the balance and the path of the electrical flow, finding a sparking problem can be made less complicated. This only applies to the sealed burner, non-reignition system.

Now for the service diagnostics. The customer complains that the left burner is not igniting, but the other burners are sparking. The ignition switches can be ruled out since the module is receiving the L1 voltage and a spark is produced. *Since the left front burner is linked to the right rear burner, check the spark on that burner. If the spark at the right rear is a crisp blue spark, that indicates that the 12000-14000 VDC is returning to the burner. Electricity will take the path of least resistance and would rather go to the chassis than jump the gap at the burner. With this in mind, the next thing to check is for a possible grounded igniter wire or broken igniter insulator for the left front burner. let's now take a look at the opposite affect. The right rear burner is a light blue almost white spark. This would indicate not all the D.C. voltage is returning to the burner. Possible causes could be:

1) The gap between the igniter and the burner base is too large. *Should be approximately the thickness of two dimes.

2) Soiled igniter or burner base.

The above can be tested by switching the suspected burner with a known operating burner.

3) Loose wiring connections at the igniter, the grounding strap, or spark module.

4) Broken or pinched igniter wire between the burner and module.

Both of the above are physical inspections under the main top.

5) The module may have a week coil, which is not providing sufficient voltage to ignite the gas