Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

My GE model DBXR453ET5WW has started to have a constant low

My GE model DBXR453ET5WW has started to have a constant low hum while running. It works fine, but I'm concerned about the cause of the noise.

Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
To remove the front panel, there are three screws located under the top edge of the door opening (bulkhead) just below where the top panel and front panel come together.Remove those, then rotate the front bulkhead out from the top then up off the lower front fram clips on the bottom. Now you will have access to the blower/ motor area at the bottom/left. Check for blockages of the blower and also that the blower is attached securely to the motor shaft. If you think the sound is coming generally from the area of the motor and you have verified the integrity of the blower wheel and that there are no blockages, a low humming would indicate that the motor is on its way out. If that is the case, eventually the machine will become harder to start, noisier, and eventually will ONLY hum when trying to start and not ACTUALLY start at all. PLEASE let me know if you need further information.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed 2 screws and the top of the dryer, exposing the top of the drum. There are two screws (on on either side) holding the front panel to the rest of the housing. I guess I don't understand your instructions, but should probably unscrew those two screws to maybe see the motor?????? Forgive me, I don't work on appliances.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
No problem! Thats why we are here!
I missed typing a step here. remove that top panel, then yes. There are screws on the side of the FRONT panel; holding it onto the cabinet.Remove those THEN you can rotate the front panel out and off. Sorry about that!

Edited by Eric on 10/22/2009 at 4:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I saw the exposed blower wheel and cleaned out a lot of lint, some still damp and am trying to put the front panel back on correctly, after which I plan to start the dryer to see if the lint removal helped. Before I continue to try to put it back togerther, is there something else I should do?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
If you removed the lint from the blower, the blower duct (part of the front bulkhead that COVERS the blower wheel when the panel is on) and checked that the blower is not loose on the motor shaft, one more thing to do while in there is check the glides on the TOP / INSIDE plastic at index 313 in the diagram for obvious wear(unlikely to cause humming though but worth checking) and the glides at the BOTTOM of the drum that you will see the drum riding on,for humming sounds, thats about all you can check besides what we talked about, BUT, if you REALLY feel like being a detective here (thats how i like to work Laughing) , you can remove the belt from the idler and off the drum, SET THE MACHINE ON A NO HEAT CYCLE / AIR FLUFF CYCLE, NO HEAT!!! , close the door switch and run the motor. This will allow you to PINPOINT the location of the hum, or eliminate the motor as a cause, either one. I can almost GUARANTEE that you are hearing motor related sounds though, but i am not there to hear the hum. Thats about all that will hum in there.

graphic

Edited by Eric on 10/22/2009 at 4:45 PM EST
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.