Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

my calypso washer has stopped.In the timer display are the

my calypso washer has stopped.In the timer display are the letters FL. I cannot get the wash to do anything. What do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
The "FL" error on this machine means that the main controller "thinks" the machine has overfilled (flood condition) and unless you see that there ACTUALLY is too much water in the machine, then this code is simply a reaction to its inability to drain, which can cause an "FL" error, an "LD" (long drain) error, and/or sometimes even a "OE" or "OC" error (overcurrent.) The fact that you still have your drain water in the machine indicates that the cause of this error is a failure of the drain pump to drain the "flood" water out. In this condition, the machine will attempt to "correct" the flood condition by running the drain pump approximately once every 30 seconds. This is a very common problem with Calypsos and usually requires replacement of the pump. If your pump has already been updated to the newer style pump, then usually the problem is caused by blockage somewhere between the tub-to-pump hose and the pump impeller, and can be cleared by removing the three screws that hold the impeller housing onto the NEW style pump and removing the debris, then reassembling and the problem will go away after a reset (unplug for 2 minutes) of the machine. After all of this and regardless of whether you replaced the pump (if old style) or cleared the pump (new style), we must scheck the washplate in the wash basket for a gap between the grey rubber ring on the outside and the wash basket itself. If you see a gap, THAT was the reason that debris was able to get into the pump in the first place and the washplate must be replaced. Now to make it even MORE fun, most of the time the wash plate has worn due to wear on the u-joint, which is what the wash plate is attached to. I would be more than happy to give you as much further information on this as you need as I have been working on these since the day they came out on the market.Please let me know if you need further information!