Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have the Whirlpool Duet, model WFW9400SW00. Serial#CSU2003750,

I have the Whirlpool Duet, model WFW9400SW00. Serial#CSU2003750, recently the machine would not power up. Pushing the button did nothing. Unfortunately we live in the Virgin Islands an there is no Certified repair facility. A local person from "Professional Appliance Repair LLC" came out and $491.00 later the control board (p.n .8183259) did not solve the problem. We did get the machine to briefly power up, ran the diagnostics and got an F70 code (Control board, continuity,door switch?) the local guy spent some time with a Whirlpool phone service ($120 of the $491) and they told him it could be any one of three items (which including labor would cost over $1000 to install)....any better ideas? By the way while we did have the machine powered , we attempted to start a cycle. The timer started at 50 minutes and counted down to 49, but nothing happened... the door locked light was not on and in fact the door was not locked ????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello! The F-70 code indicates a communication problem between the CCU (main controller) and the MCU (motor controller). This problem is what we call a "can-of-worms" because while MOST times , replacement of the CCU fixes the problem (that is the part number you gave which has been replaced) , some times its a problem with the motor controller. It can ALSO be a simple loose connection between the motor controller and the main controller (you can check this yourself by removing the top and bottom panels and physically removing and reinserting ALL connections), problem with the door lock assembly(rare), user interface assembly (rare for this error though) pump (rare, but i have seen it). I know this sounds like a bunch of crud, but thanks to the design and lack of specific data from Whirlpool regarding further troubleshooting down to a SPECIFIC component AFTER we have determined the F-70 code exists, we just rely on the old "plug-and-pray" method of repair for this problem, using statistical experience (like I said, MOST of the time a CCU replacement will solve) and lots of patience. Most of the other codes in the machine are pretty accurate and specific but this one can be a pain as you can see. You COULD try replacing the MCU (motor controller) only AFTER verifying all connections internally are ok, but that will set you back several hundred dollars more and MAY not solve the problem. Hopefully this tech also installed th CCU correctly because while this IS a VERY easy repair, it sounds like he may not have known what he was doing and could have left a connection off the CCU OR plugged one in to the wrong port of the CCU. Thats hard to do, but I have seen it happen. For sure though, I would ask for my money back for the "repairs" already performed because it did not fix your problem, then possibly attempt to fix the machine yourself the way I said, which will end up costing less in the long run but may be more frustrating. I apologize if this answer is not what you wanted to hear, but it IS the correct answer based on your problem and hopefully helps you. PLEASE let me know if you need any further information!
Thanks!