Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a Kenmore Power Miser 6 water heater model 156.336456.

I have a Kenmore Power Miser 6 water heater modelNNN-NN-NNNN The pilot light goes out once the water reaches temperature. It is gas operated. It relights with no problem. Why is it constantley going out?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am happy to help you today!
If you are NOT having any problems relighting AFTER the pilot goes out, then you will need to replace the gas valve with part #F145-1278. They run about $90.00 from Sears but most appliance part supplirs will have them as well. We can eliminate the thermocouple in this case because you said it relights with no problems.
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 10/21/2009 at 4:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS THIS SOMETHING THAT IS EASY TO REPLACE? WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
The gas valve is on the BOTTOM/SIDE of the tank and looks like this :
graphic

It is the assembly that contains the red knob you use to control the temp and light the burner. You will need to drain the tank first because the thermostat post screws in to the tank and is also part of the valve assembly. You will need to remove power from the tank, turn off the gas, drain the tank, remove the thermocouple and gas lines from the valve, remove the valve itself, then install in the reverse order. You need to use teflon gas-rated plumbers tape on the gas fittings on reinstallation and check your work for gas leaks using leak detection fluid (soapy water solution) or an electronic leak detector BEFORE turning the gas back on.