built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

My Whirpool washing maching makes a loud banging noise when

My Whirpool washing maching makes a loud banging noise when it stops spinning. Its like the load is off balance but its not. The machine is level on a concrete floor. (The basement)
What can it be? Linda Mulkey
Hi YaCustomer

The Direct Drive (motor) Coupling may be broken or damaged and knocking before braking completely. Many Whirlpool/Kenmore brands washing machines utilize a small, relatively inexpensive direct drive motor coupling. It's plastic and rubber and is mounted to the shaft of the motor on one side, and to the transmission on the other.

It can wear out over time or fail under overloading conditions. This protects your transmission from excessinve loading.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi built1950, Thanks for that answer. Is it something that my husband and I fix? Can we get the part and where?