built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

I have a GE refrigerator model TFX22ZR that has an intermittent

I have a GE refrigerator model TFX22ZR that has an intermittent problem with water leaking out from under the bottom. It only occurs every two weeks to a month.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ya uncleroy,

Have you shut off the water from the ice maker to see if it stops?? if it does then its a leak in the hoses or valves. Has the fridge been moved lately?? Sometimes when people move a fridge the drain hose comes out of the drip pan to catch the defrost water. And Yes the fridge does make water from it self defrosting . All self defrosting fridges do!!

I had an issue not long ago where water occasionally appearing on the floor. It was very random. I added a piece of tubing to extend the drain tube to the evaporator pan. The customer has not had the problem since.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not see a drip pan. How do I get to it?
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Did you pull the fridge out and remove the rear bottom panel?
Actually in this frdge the pan i in the front . Not eay to reach.

Diagrams found here.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=TFX22ZRAWH&p roductCategoryId=0165000&brandId=0432&modelName=SIDE-BY-SIDE-REFRIGERATOR&diagramPageId=00004&componentDescription=UNIT&documentId=E2135227&blt=06

#260 on diagram
Water dispenser pan
Number:
WR32X1125
Substitution:
WR32X1427
Size:
18.40L x 14.60W x 3.30H

graphic

Edited by built1950 on 10/21/2009 at 12:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no evaporator pan that I can see. I removed the rear cover and there is no pan access. From the front there is only about 1 inch clearence for a for a pan to slide under the coils. Do all refrigerators have evaporation pans? If it's there one ,I cannot see it. Is the evaporator pan and water dispenser pan the same thing.

If I had a leak in the ice maker, wouldn't be occuring more frequent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am waiting for an answer to my question above.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for taking so long had an emergency and had trun out. Back now.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Hi ya uncleroy!

All self defrosting fridges have an evaporator pan or water dispenser pan the same thing.
As
The defrost heater is similar to the burners on an electric stove. It's located just beneath the cooling coils, which are concealed behind a panel in the freezer compartment. The heater gets hot. And, because it's close to the cooling coils, any ice or frost build-up melts.
As the frost and ice melt, the resulting water drips into a trough. The trough is connected to a tube that drains the water into a shallow pan at the bottom of the refrigerator. The water is then evaporated by a fan that blows warm air from the compressor motor over the pan and out the front of the refrigerator.

Your evaporator fan may be weak or faulty and not be blowing the warm air over the pan well. This would me the water in the pan does not evaporate fast enough and then after a week or two when it accumulates to high in the pan the water runs over the top.
So you have water on your floor every couple of weeks.

This is a tough place to work very tight quarters and really needs to be done with experience. Techs get their hands cut up in there too, if they are not careful.

To test and work on the evaporator fan is not a home handy person fix.
You may want to have a hands on tech do this work
built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer