built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

symptom kenmore washer works until timer gets between rinse

Customer Question

symptom: kenmore washer works until timer gets between rinse and spin functions. then stops. tried the other (permanent press) side too (180 degrees on other side). same thing happens.
My guess is the timer. p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNN diagram says held in by two screws. looks like somthing I could do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 5 years ago.
Hi ya dansack,

The washer does not spin but you don't include any other details but since you're asking about the not spinning I assume the agitation is okay.

If your washer will fill and agitate okay then the motor is most likely okay. If the washer agitates and the timer advances to the spin but nothing happens then the most likely cause of this problem is a bad lid switch.

On your washer an open lid switch will allow the washer to fill and agitate but will not allow it to drain or spin. I recommend you check the lid switch first.

If you're comfortable and confident in your do-it-yourself abilities this is something you can repair yourself without calling a service technician. Remember to unplug the washer so no power is present.

The image below contains the instructions for accessing the lid switch on your washer. You'll have to remove the cabinet. Your washer is a little different from the one pictured below. Your washer has two end caps that must be removed to access the screws that hold the console.

Read the instructions below and see if this is something you'd be comfortable and confident in doing.

The lid switch part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand is available from the following link: Sears Parts Direct

If you have a volt/ohm meter you can check for continuity across the terminals on the lid switch. The instructions also show how to "jump" the lid switch out and check if the washer will spin. Use extreme caution if you do this.

I hope this information is helpful to you in solving your problem.

graphic
built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, agitation is OK.

yes, the spin will not happen unless the lid is down (when it worked). lid is down, so i can check the switch first.

i have the original manual and diagrams and BOM list. p/n checks out.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

one more question:

i see the two screws that hold down the front panel (by looking under the cover in the corners)
how do i get to them with the screwdriver? The trim is hard to figure out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i got it. the angled trim pulls out toward the front and rotates up and out.
Expert:  built1950 replied 5 years ago.
Great, happy to hear of your progress.
God bless