Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

Hello, I have a 20 year old GE dual wave the fuse on the

I have a 20 year old GE dual wave the fuse on the power module and it was blown. So I discharged the cap and checked the cap and diode and transformer and the checked good. The microwave now works fine...but now the oven does not respond to the buttons. It beeps when I hit the clear/cancel button and the arrow that is over the "oven locked" lettering goes off and then back on. The oven is not locked. Is there a safety switch that is not seated somewhere after I pulled out the microwave part way or a wire loose that could cause the oven not to work? It worked fine even when the microwave went out.
Thanks
Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
One of the latch switches is disconnected. The switches are on the door latch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dave,

I checked all the latch switches ohm readings and the wires for connection as you suggested. That did not work. So I started suspecting the smartboard was the problem as the only buttons that worked for the oven were the clear/off and clock buttons. I removed the screws on the side of the button panel and swung it down. About mid-way down the panel are three connector plugs in a row. I immediately noticed that the two on the inside were cocked off the pins very slightly. I reseated the connector and powered it up and the oven works once again! These plugs on the smartboard are difficult to see when the panel is in place. I suspect that when I pulled the microwave out part-way to get to the fuse and caps, I must have pulled the connector wires thus some of the pins were not in contact. So your suggestion was not the answer, but it was worth checking. Thanks.

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome.