Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

my Kenmore gas dryer is not getting hot/drying clothes.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I can help you with this. Is the drum still turning? just no heat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the drum is still turning. It is just not getting hot.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
ok is there a little spy hole at the front of the dryer? a plastic piece about an inch by an inch..will be on the front somewhere near the bottom, or alternatively a removable panel at the front bottom?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I see a plastic square at the bottom front of the dryer
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
ok pull this plastic piece out and set the dryer for 30 minutes then run the cycle. once running take a look through this hole to see if the igniter glows? does the gas ignite and go strait out? or do you see nothing? make sure you watch for a couple of minutes since the heat does not start strait away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OKay, There is light showing. My brother tells me that occassionally it heats up but does not stay heated.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok this is going to be a problem with the safety valve coils. This is what they look like:
graphic
They are mounted to the valve. To get to them pop the lid open with a putty knife (if your lint screen is in the top of the machine remove the 2 screws under the flap) then take the 2 screws out one either side inside the machine. Pull the front off and now you have access to the valve. if you have any other questions please feel free to comment again. Mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay...Are you saying that I need to replace the safety valve coils?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes thats what your problem is going to be, the coils get old and as the burner fires up the coils get warm and short out. then they shut the gas off until the coils cool down at which time they will fire up again. If you change the coils you will be good to go :). Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Mike. I really appreciate your time and assistance!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
your welcome :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike... Is the coil at the bottom of the dryer or under the lint screen opening?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, the coils are located on the valve at the base of the machine, You should remove the 2 screws under the lint filter flap then pop the lid open with a putty knife (there are 2 clips holding the lid down under the front lip about 3-4 inches from each end. Once the lid is up look inside the dryer there are 2 screws holding the front panel in place. remove the screws and pull the front off the machine. you will see the valve under the drum next to the burner chamber and the coils will be mounted on top. Remove the bracket holding the coils in place by removing the 2 screws and then pop the new coils in. re-assemble the dryer in reverse order. Mike

Edited by Mike on 10/20/2009 at 2:43 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, Thank you MIke. Much appreciated

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks!