Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

My whirlpool duet dryer will not start after holding down the

My whirlpool duet dryer will not start after holding down the start button. The lights are on and it beeps and says it is sensing but does not start.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
Based on your description of the symptoms, I believe that you thermal fuse has opened. On this machine the thermal fuse is wired in series with both the heater and the motor and will cause this problem when it opens. To check it, remove the lint screen, the lower toe panel and the blower duct which covers the blower and houses the lint screen and look for a white, oval device that has two wires coming from it. if you have a meter, you can check continuity across that fuse with one wire removed OR, you can cross the two wires together FOR TESTING ONLY and see if the dryer now runs. If it does, you need part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich is available from every appliance part supplier for less than $20.00 and looks like this :

If that is the problem, then you need to make sure you clean ALL lint from that blower duct and your ENTIRE vent system all the way to the outside as this fuse blows due to lack of airflow resulting in higher air temps in the air system. Please let me know if you need further information!