Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

for a 240 volt hot water heater 50 gal whirlpool i have three

Customer Question

for a 240 volt hot water heater 50 gal whirlpool i have three wires from the breaker red black and white and only a red and black on the water heater how do i tie them in
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The red and black are hot leads and the white is neutral. Connect black to black, red to red and neutral to ground.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but there is a small copper line for the ground ?? should I attach the white to the ground nut on the hot water heater?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

for a 240 volt hot water heater 50 gal whirlpool i have three wires from the breaker red black and white and only a red and black on the water heater how do i tie them in but there is a small copper line for the ground ?? should I attach the white to the ground nut on the hot water heater?

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
You can connect the ground to the ground on the water heater if there is one from the house. If there is no ground from the house, you can use the white wire.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The white wire is hot and so is the red the black is not hot according to the tester I am concerned...the old hot water heater was black to white and red to red and the black wire had a wire nut on it

should i set it up the same way white to black (which register juice) and red to red (which register 240 on the meter)

please advise

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Are you getting 240 volts between any 2 wires?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes between the red and the black
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Those are the 2 leads to conect the leads from the water heater. The white to red or black should be 120 volts, it should be a nuetral. You can cap it off if you have a green or bare copper ground wire to run to the ground of the water heater.