How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 244
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a Maytag Neptune drier. Today we noticed that the circuit-breaker

Resolved Question:

We have a Maytag Neptune drier. Today we noticed that the circuit-breaker for the dedicated circuit for the drier was overheating but not tripping. What could cause this as it seems the Neptune is drawing too much power?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Is the dryer working normally?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes Eric, it is.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Thanks! I assume you only have the dryer outlet on that circuit, which really is the only safe way to wire your house for 240VAC services . Now, you will need to FIRST check the actual plug at the end of the power cord for evidence of arcing or excessive heat (severe discoloration,warping of the conductors etc ) then, remove the small cover that covers the area where the power cord goes into the machine (terminal block). Check for ANY sign of loose connection, overheating on the insulation of the cord AND the wires leading away from the terminal block into the console and the motor/heater area. Loose connections, especially neutral but any loose connection can cause overheating of the electrical system WITHOUT a breaker trip, but you ALSO need to check the actual current draw of both the L1 leg and L2 leg of your power supply during a heated dry and an air dry. You should be seeing somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 amps max on each leg during heat and around 3-10amps MAX on only one leg during air dry at which time the other leg will be VERY low or nearly zero, and it should be relatively consistent.If you find NO loose connections or damage, a worn breaker CAN overheat without a trip and should be replaced, as you already know.Please let me know if you need any further information!

Edited by Eric on 10/18/2009 at 9:59 PM EST
Eric and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions