Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I have a spring on the rod that isunder theice container the

I have a spring on the rod that isunder theice container the spring is broken, is this important to the operation of the ice maker as it is not making the amount of ice that it use to? also I use to hear it fill with water and then shut down but do not here it anymore. Another problem is the water does not work on the door anymore either. I checked the ohm reading on the relay and both sides read around 500. Model #PS123MGMB

Thank you for any ideas, Joe
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The spring is related to the solenoid that raises the lever to bypass the crusher for cubed ice. Do you hear a humming sound when you try to use the water dispenser?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no hum that you can hear, there is a dull click after you press in the water dispenser in
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Is the evap fan running? Is the back wall of the freezer covered in frost?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fan is running fine and clean, there is no frost buildup anywhere
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The water reservoir may be frozen. If you take off the kickplate, under the freezer door is a coupler that can be disconnected. If you disconnect this and put a towel down there, do you get water when you push the dispenser?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dave, Okay, I disconnected the water as you suggested and a very small amount of water came out.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
So when you activate the water dispenser, no water comes out? Next step is to remove the back bottom cover and disconnect the water line at the valve outlet, the 5/16 inch line is for the water through the door. If you get water here, then you have a frozen water reservoir behind the crisper drawers. A few minutes with a hairdryer should unblock the ice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dave, I finally got a chance to try your last suggestion, I disconnected the water line ,still did not get any water. I did heat the reservoir with a heat gun for about ten min. , I did manage to get a dribble of water to come out of the dispenser. The reservoir felt warm to the touch even after letting it set for awhile so I figured it had to have melted if it were frozen.
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
Have you disconnected the 5/16 outlet from the water valve to check valve function?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.
Try that, if the water doesn't come out, you have a bad valve.