Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

kenmore 110.23012102 top load washing machine has a low hum

Customer Question

kenmore 110.23012102 top load washing machine has a low hum during spin cycle. everything else works fine, just a low hum/whir sound during spin.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
So along with this hum, will the machine ACTUALLY spin or does it just the hum and NO action, and does it do this regardless of the spin speed selected? One more question, does the hum stop after a few seconds to a few minutes, then start again on its own?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the machine still works. i am running a small load now, and just went to check, there is a low hum during agitation and a louder (but still relatively low) hum during spin. it goes through all steps of water fill, agitate, drain/spin repeat. the hum doesn't start/stop, it is just constant during agitate and spin. i have it on the normal speed now and have not tested a different speed, i didn't think of it. the next load is 3 pair of jeans, so i will test the heavy duty on that and see how it works.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like you are hearing the motor as it is running and if it has gotten louder during the period you have owned this washer, may indicate that your motor is beginning to wear. I would definitely check the motor coupler though to make sure that it is not wearing but usually it will not make a humming when its about to fail, rather a loud annoying grinding or chattering noise, then it will break causing failure of spin and agitate and maybe some new noise, but the motor continues to run and the machine will still pump (thats about ALL it will do!!) . Also, to further isolate the sound to the motor, you can temporarily unclip the pump from the motor and run the machine in SPIN mode WITHOUT the pump attached with NO CLOTHES or water in the tub because your pump is turning regardless of which direction the motor is turning and whether or not it is actually pumping water or not. SOmetimes something gets stuck in the pump and even though everything still works ok, the friction caused inside the pump can make a moan or hum sound. Since I can not hear the sound myself, these are the MOST LIKELY possibilities based on your description of the symptoms. Please let me know if you need more information!

Edited by Eric on 10/18/2009 at 8:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, I thank you for your help. I am sorry that it took a little bit for me to get back to you, last sunday was too nice for me to do anything but finish up on the yard work and then I work nights, so today was the first day I was able to do anything. I got the case apart and down to the motor. I took the pump off and ran it in spin on normal and heavy duty and there was no noise. I flushed the pump out and tried to find anything lodged in it. With the pump back on the noise came back, after a little more running, the noise is still there, but quieter. It would appear since there is no noise with the pump attached that it would be the pump. I would think that I should still be able to use it given these conditions. Please advise if I am incorrect or missing anything.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
You are correct! It is fine to run this way AS LONG as there are no leaks and it is working ok, but whenever you get tired of the noise, stick another pump on and away you go! This is one of the MANY reasons why myself and MANY other technicians love these things! They are workhorses and easy (and cheap) to fix!
Thanks again for using our service and enjoy your weekend!