built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

I have a Hot and Cold water Dispenser that is seven years old.

Customer Question

I have a Hot and Cold water Dispenser that is seven years old. The model number is XXXXX It has been worikng well until three weeks ago. The dispenser has a "red indictor light" that indicates the hot water dispensing and a "greeen dicating light " that indicates the cold water dispensing. Both lights turns on and off. For the past three weeks, the "green Indicating light" has been staying on all the time. I can hear the machine turns on and off. The cold water that is coming out from the dispenser remains room temperature and is not cold at all. The hot water dispenser is working fine. It turns on and off. What is wrong with the cold water dispenser? Is it worth reparing the machine taking into the consideration of the cost on service charge plus part and comparing buying a new dispenser?
If it can be repair, can you give me the part number and the price ? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Hi yaCustomer

I would not spend any money on repairs. It is not worth it.
You can buy a new one at home depot for only $119.

Do not put good money into bad.

God Bless
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is wrong with the Hot and Cold water cooler? Why does the cold water stay on all the time and does not cool the water? Is the cold water switch broken? Can I purchase a part to repair it?
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
When you turn the switch on most coolers switches light up the color of the switch.
If you leave the coolers switch in the on position all the time, I doubt that the switch is the problem.

There are a number of things it maybe.
1. Is the switch lit now in the on position?
2. Do you hear the compressor cycling on and off?

It maybe that compressor is bad. Or a relay is bad. Or the freon coolant leaked out, or the freon level is low. All of these cost more than $100. to service.
this is not a a home handy persons repair.You must be certified as of federal law to buy or use freon coolant.

Edited by built1950 on 10/20/2009 at 10:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the "blue" light that controls the cold water is supposed to come on periodically while cooling the water and then it will go off. The "red"l ight that controls the hot water does the same. Now, the "blue"light remains on all the time. I can hear machine switches on for a several seconds and then shuts off. However, the water is not cold like before.

The hot water control is functioning fine. What is wrong with the cold water control?

Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Okay, Thanks for this detailed explanation.
This really gives me a good picture of the current situation. You the customer are our eyes and ears.

Because the "blue"light remains on all the time. And you say can hear machine switches on for a several seconds and then shuts off and the water is not cold.means either of two things are causing the machine not to reach temperature.

1 The sealed system is low on freon
2.Bad compressor

The thermostat is most likely good because the system stays on trying to reach temperature.
The relay is good cause it turns on the compressor

It's your choice if you want to spend the money for a hands on tech.
It cost the same or more to fix than to replace the cooler.

In my business we have an Avanti water cooler with hot water also and it is the same age as yours, but works great. Only $119.
Ive seen them all over in offices and never a problem.

Each of these are things that are not usually a home handy persons repair.
You will need a hands on tech for this fix.

Edited by built1950 on 10/21/2009 at 11:28 AM EST