The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Hello I have a GE Refrigerator Model GTL17JBWERBS Serial

Customer Question

I have a GE Refrigerator Model GTL17JBWERBS Serial AR812823
I have a problem that developed, it made a humming sound, Orenge Glow coming from behind the Freezer Louvers in the rear of the freezer, the fan would not run, the Sheet metal was between warm and hot, I removed the Sheet metal rear and the Plastic had mealted. The unit is 1 1/2 years old, what would be the cause of this problem and does it sound like a Warrentied issue and if so who do I contact - South Suburbs of Chicago Il
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.
The defrost system is stuck. The glowing you saw was the defrost heating element in overdrive.
You will need to change out the defrost control.
Please click here for the part.
Please click here for the parts breakdown of the unit. the part is #648.
Best, THS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I assume the location is on the Top of the refrigerator section within the Plastic Housing were the light is

Correct. Lower the plastic cover and the timer is towards the rear. Replace it with the new unit and you should be good to go.

Once you have replaced the timer keep an eye on the back of the freezer for a week. Just to be sure it doesnt start to ice up. If it does then the heating of the evaporator heating element may have damaged it. Remove th evback cover and replace the heating element. It is part #618 in the breakdown.

Thank you for the accept.

Best, THS