Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I need a little help replacing the boot gasket on a Bosch

Customer Question

I need a little help replacing the boot gasket on a Bosch WFMC2100 washer. I see it should make it easier removing the door but after removing all the screws I can see it will not come off.

Thanks,
Todd
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
If you take off the outer spring, you can get behind the boot to access the clamp, you don't need to remove any other parts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I removed the old boot gasket without a problem but installing the new one is the problem. It would make the job easier I think if i could remove the front panel, not sure what is still holding it on though. Once this is off should I install the wire spring on the gasket and then put the whole thing on the drum portion first? A detailed installation process would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Todd
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It's not made to come off easily. If you line up the new boot, then fit it into the groove, then you can fold it inside to get easier access to the outer clamp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats the issue fitting it in the groove with the very limited hand room. Can you please tell me how to get the front panel off? I removed all the screws up top and the one on each side near the bottom...not sure what else there is.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
I've never had to remove the front panel on this model, a lot of them are spot welded together on the front and you remove the drum from the rear panel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so do you fit the gasket on the inside and then put the retaining clamp on or fit the clamp to the gasket and put them on as a unit?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Put on the boot, then with it folded into the tub toget the outer part out of the way you put on the clamp. You can get it in the groove with one hand on the inside and the other on the outside. I know it can be frustrating, but with practice the whole job takes about 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure what you are saying about one hand on the inside one on the outside. Should I start the gasket at the top, the problem I am having is once I get to the right side around where the cement weight is attached there is no room and eventually it slips off.

Thanks,
Todd
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
You just have to work it around starting from the top. When the gasket is in the groove you can see from the inside there is no gap left.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK giving it a shot right now.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Good Luck, just be patient. My first time I wanted to scream, but since I was in a customers home I couldn't.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yea if I had hair I would have pulled it out by now. I just got the inner seal/ring on. One last question the little shark fin type thing at the 1:00 position broke quite a while ago, what is the purpose of this piece and would you know the name/part number of it?

Thanks,
Todd
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Was it part of the door boot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has two torx screws that holds it onto the washer at the 1:00 position and kind of looks like a shark fin and lays over the boot gasket. I thought maybe it was to deflect the clothes back into the machine?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but most models don't have that part.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks for your help today, the seal is on!
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Your Welcome.