Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I have a JenAir electric slide in range, the model no# is JES9750BAB;

Customer Question

I have a JenAir electric slide in range, the model no# XXXXX XXXXX; the right side burners on the range work (the left side activates the exhauts fan when you turn on the knobs -it never worked that way before) and the oven locks using the keypad on the control board (the oven doesn't work. The clock comes on but we are unable to change the time, because none of the other buttons work on the display (that includes the option, cancel, bake, timer buttons). We thought it was the control panel. We ordered a new one and replaced it this evening. It hasn't worked. It does the same exact thing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the touchpad or clock?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, we just ordered the control part; it has the mother board and clock display. We figured that changing the entire control would take care of the problem. We didn't know you could change either (touchpad and clock) separate from the control. I read on a appliance blog site three or four weeks ago that the clock is an important factor in the repair (once it goes then, there goes the entire range); over the past year we were experiencing the clock changing time (we would manually set it, then over a period of time it would slow down, hence the time would be off a number of minutes); i didn't think much of it at that time- it reminded me of an old vcr that would do that. I think the time slowing down was a symptom of the problem that we're now experiencing.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
The control panel has the touch pad on it, it's what has the ribbon cable connecting to the clock. The fan issue is there is a switch on the top of the range, so when the grillis in place the fan will turn on automatically.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so we've must've hit that switch to make it turn on? I only mentioned the fan mess because it seemed so strange; i'm more at odds by the touchpad situation. Until those work, the stove won't work.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
There is a little barb about an inch or so long that goes into the hole where the fan switch is, when you plug in the cartridge it triggers the switch.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about the keypad? If we've already replaced the entire control panel, should just call a technician? Because other than taking the old one off and put the new one on is just about the limit to my appliance skills,
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
The keypad is part of the control panel. That is what the clock/ERC attaches to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cool, i got that part, but neither control panel is working. Is there some way to know if i got a bad shipment. Is there something i can do to tell if it's operating correctly?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Did you make sure the ribbon cable was inserted fully into the clock?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think so, i clock comes on, but that's it
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
The clock would come on, the ribbon cable doesn't provide any power,it only connects the touch pad and the clock for the button presses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, the ribbon cable is in and only the bake timer buttons 1 and 2 and the numerical keypad works (i can lock the oven); Nothing has changed. so can i infer that the ribbon cable- which is connected to the panel is the problem? The ribbon cable also controls the numerical keypad too right? So if only a certain no# XXXXX work, then the panel is probably the culprit...
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if the clock is new it would not likely be the culprit. If the ribbon cable gets cracked it will not work either.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well from what i've observed, it has split into two thin strips in some areas and it has a sticky adhesive substance at the base of the strip of cable where it goes into the panel area.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It sounds damaged. If you broil with the oven door open or the gasket is in bad shape,excess heat can damage the control area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So get another panel?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Have you changed it yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, we only changed the control part (that has the mother board and clock.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Then you should change that part. Those are the only 2 parts involved.