Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

Re Maytag top load washer cycle/timer/start control knob.

Re: Maytag top load washer "cycle/timer/start" control knob. Wife pulled knob to start machine as usual, round knob came off shaft. Looks like metal piece that may be what retained the knob, is rattling inside knob. What is needed and what do I do to attach knob to shaft. Sure don't want to continue to use needlenose pliers to operate washer.

Hello! My my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you as much as possible today!
A model number DEFINITELY helps and yours is probably located on the lower/side cabinet panel. Probably "A12" or something like that . At any rate, many of these Maytags had a small clip like in the picture and you have to pry the end cover off the knob to get at it. Hopefully it is still in one piece so can can reform it somewhat and reattach it, but since the knob fell off, I highly doubt it. The part # XXXXX 211605 and it is available at almost any appliance part house. Sears has them for $2.97. They look like this :

Edited by Eric on 10/15/2009 at 5:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Did what you said. Clip intact. Reformed the clip. Reattached the knob. So far, working normally. Thanks. Saved me time, money and more irritable wife than normal.

Glad it worked out! Im also ALWAYS glad to help someone dodge a bullet from the significant other too because I KNOW how that can get Embarassed!!
Have a great day and thank you!