Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

2005 Kenmore elite dishwasher - my dishwasher will not turn

2005 Kenmore elite dishwasher - my dishwasher will not turn on and the green clean light is blinking. Before this happened, it was not cleaning well. Money is tight. any clue what it may be and can I fix the problem myself?
What is your model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 2005. MOdel number is XXXXX It is a Kenmore elite Ultrawash quietguard 7
Does it drain when you hit the cancel button? Have you tried shutting off the power for 5 minutes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It won't turn on so I can't get water in for it to drain. The green light is blinking (for clean dishes). If I hit wash and start (never use heat dry) it will not change and just go back to the blinking green light. No, I have not turned the power off.
Try the power off thing. Sometimes the blinking clean light means a bad heating element. Have you visually checked the element for damage?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The power is off and I am going downstairs to turn it back on. Will look at the heating element.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Turned the power on. Still have blinking light. Heating element appears to be fine but then again what would one look like that wasn't fine?
They don't always show signs of failure. Try the diagnostic mode, push air/heat dry high temp scrub back and forth 3 times, if done successfully all the light will light up at once. If you don't have those buttons, tell me what yours say.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have five buttons under cycles: Smart wash, Pots Pans, Normal Wash, China Gentle, Quick Rinse
I have four options: Turbo Zone, Hi Temp, Sani Rinse, Heated Dry
Then, I have a Delay button for 2, 4, or 6, a Cancel/Drain button and a Start/Resume button.
Try heated dry-sani rinse, if that doesn't work then heated dry-hi temp
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was heated dry and hi temp. It then lit all the lights and went into a cycle with the lights from quick rinse and normal cycle switching. Then all lights turned off and I checked inside and noticed nothing. I then closed and pushed start/resume and it appears to be doing a normal cycle because that light is on and when I stopped it to look in, there was water. So, what now? Is it okay and everything was reset or will I know when the cycle is up and everything is still dirty which was how it led up to the blinking clean light.
The diagnostics resets the control board and clears error codes.It only turns on the water valve for 5 seconds, so not a lot of water goes in. Try running it normally, if the clean light starts blinking again you have a bad heater.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just opened the door and the heating element is heating the water so it cannot be the element. Any other ideas?
There is a food chopper blade under the spray arm. It's number 6 on the link I'm sending, if that breaks the screen will get clogged and it won't clean well at all. AND MOTOR PARTS&documentId=K0602059&blt=06
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, when the cycle is over and IF the dishes are dirty, I need to disassemble the bottom (what kind of screwdriver), clean out the food and replace the blade which I order at the link you supplied? Is this something I can do or have to have a serviceman do?
You need a Torx driver T20 for the top and T15 for the chopper cover. They are about $5 at Home Depot in a multi-driver.