Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

Stack washer and dryer - kenmore. dryer works fine so i dont

Customer Question

Stack washer and dryer - kenmore. dryer works fine so i don't think it would be electrical -

nothing happens when i pull the knob to start the washer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
Please give me the model # XXXXX the machine. Since this is a laundry center, it will be located on a tag on the inside-side of the dryer door or behind the door on the front bulkhead. The number will begin with either "110" or "417" Please enter the number as(NNN) NNN-NNNNWITH the decimal so the privacy filters will not censor it thinking it is a phone number.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
110.92964102
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Now, just to confirm your statement, when you say it wont do ANYTHING, will it at least fill with water and do you hear ANY sounds at ALL from the washer when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No sound at all - no water at all -
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
graphic

Thanks! XXXXX do not have your wiring diagram but you have one which is located behind the center panel with the two screws between the console section and the washer section. The fact that you have NO water and NO sound from the water valve solenoid, timer motor or the drive motor when you pull the timer knob out, but you can verify that you have 120VAC power on both legs of of your 240VAC power supply (you indicated that the dryer works fine so this is a good indicator) your most likely point of failure is the push-pull contacts in the washer timer. There IS a possibility that it could be the lid switch so I would like you to check the area I have circled in the picture for the small, oval hole that should have a small grey tab in it. When you press this tab with a pencil or other non-conductive object that will fit in that hole, you should hear a small "click" When you hear this click, hold the pencil in the hole and try to strt the machine again. If it now works, then check to make sure the actuator on the lid that goes in this hole when the lid closes is still there. if it is, but you close the lid and do NOT hear the faint click and the machine does NOT start, even though it did with the pencil, replace the lid switch assembly. If you did NOT hear a click or there is something wrong with that tab or it is missing, relace the lid switch assembly. If you hear the click but NOTHING changes as far as your ability to operate the machine, you will need to replce the washer timer. Most of these do not have the water fill valve in series with the lid switch and I can confirm this on your machine if you send me your wiring diagram, but I just want to cover all bases. The quick lid switch test I have described will ELIMINATE it as the cause though, WITHOUT the need for the diagram. Once again, the most likelely cause is the wash timer which is part #3955679 and just over $90 . The next likely culprit is the lid switch which will most likely be eliminated as a cause when you do the test I described above. It is part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand is around $25.00. PLEASE let me know if you need further information, I am here to help you as much as I can!
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not fix my washer problem - I ordered a new timer and installed it - still does not work. The lid switch seems fine and I am familiar w/ because I replaced it a year or so ago. When I installed the new timer I tried the knob on every setting and it does "respond" to two different setting which are both spins. I am trying now to decide if I should send back the timer and get my money back - any suggestions?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
If it only responds to spin and no other cycle works, PLEASE check to ensure that you have your water turned on at the supply and the fill hose screens are not blocked. Are you hearing a low key humming sound from the area af the fill hoses? If not, you will need to check power at the fill valve connectors to make sure you are getting power to both of them when you set the timer on a wash setting. It is highly unusual that NEITHER the hot or the cold would be activating during a wash, and it sounds like that is why the timer is not doing anything when set to wash. LEt me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have pulled out the washer/dryer unit and disconnected the hot and cold water from the washer and placed both hoses in a trash can - water is comming out of the wall fine. Where the hot and cold attaches to the washer feels like alot of dirt and grit in there but I do not know how to take those off......is that the fill hose screens you are talking about?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK - the two off white connectors where i connect the hot and cold water to the washing machine had screens in them - I removed and cleaned them and put them back. I reconnected the hot and cold water to the washing machine and the hoses got tight due to the water going thru them and then I did hear a gurrgling sound - and still no water going into the washer. Still works on spin cycle only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Now I have removed the screws on the left side of the BACK of the washer to expose what i believe is the fill valve (it is a white colored piece that the hot and cold water attach to.....it has two wires comming into the top of the valve and two into the side of the fill valve part.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
graphic

You are correct. Its #5 in the diagram and can be accessed by removing the screws in the rear that hold the #15 bracket . Also, did you try the wash cycle on both a hot wash setting and a cold wash setting using the temperature selection knob and still get the same result? How about setting diferent water LEVELS using the water level knob? Do you hear the "gurgling" you mentioned only when you pull the timer knob out then it goes away when you push it back in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried wash on all water temp settings and also on different water levels - still no water. gurgling was only when i reconnected the hot and cold water and turned the water back on. Now no sounds that i can hear.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.It still sounds alot like a problem with the fill valve itself. Have you checked for power to that valve yet? Each of the two solenoid coils on the valve will have two terminals. CHeck for 120VAC to the terminal pair on each one with the water temp set on "WARM" and the timer set on a wash cycle. If the power is ok, then you will need to replace that valve. I am a little skeptical about this because as I said before, the chance of BOTH solenoids failing is small, but possible. If there is NO power there, then your problem is going to be in either the temp switch or the water level switch (pressure switch). As I said in our earlier conversations, I do not have your wiring diagram, but you should have it and should be able to trace the power problem backwards from the fill valve to the water level and temp set switches all the way back to the timer.You can also upload a clear copy of your wiring diagram using the small green tree icon in your interface and I can attempt to help you troubleshoot further. One more thing, If you were not even able to get the machine into a spin with the old timer, but as you said , you can get it to spin now with the new timer, you MAY have received a defective timer. Unlikely but possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a way of testing for power to the valve - guess i may have to give up and call a service company out.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I assumed you had a meter. Without a meter , and assuming you have checked everything ELSE we have discussed that did NOT involve electrical testing, you will need a technician to pinpoint the problem here. Otherwise its just hit or miss in terms of replacing parts and hoping they fix the problem, which can get expensive and is a waste of your valueable time. Please let me know if I can help further. Thanks!