Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

whirlpool washer lxr7133jq1 will not agitate. It fills but

whirlpool washer lxr7133jq1 will not agitate. It fills but doesn't agitate. It makes a buzzing sound for a short period after it has filled then stops. If I rock the agitator it usually kicks and finishes the load but does the same thing again the next time. Clutch and motor coupling both look fine. Gears inside the transmission look fine. Teeth inside agitator seem alright. Any idea what might be wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy tohelp you with this!
What part of the machine are you noticing the "buzzing"? Console area? Drive area? Does it do this on ANY water level that you choose and ANY cycle that you choose? Do you have ANY problems with the spin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Buzzing noise comes from the timer. Lately it seems to do it on any level or cycle. Once it starts it usually finishes with no problem but it has stopped a couple of times before the final spin.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
That is what I figured based on what you said about your "rocking" of the agitator. What you are likely doing is providing enough vibration to cause the associated timer contacts to close, because they have become worn, damaged and caked with carbon due to arcing upon opening and closing. You will achieve the same positive effect by "tapping " on the timer knob shaft. This is very common in a modern timer and I always open the timer by removing the side cover and exposing the contacts so i can show the customer. In the OLDER machines, we could clean the contacts and add MUCH life to the timer but today this is not an acceptable repair because technically these are non-serviceable parts and are usually replaced for this problem. The part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNand its just under $100. Remember that as far as the timer is concerned, electrically every agitate of the same speed is identical, regardless of the selected cycle and the same goes for the spin. This further confirms the diagnosis and based on your description and calrification of the symptoms, I guarantee the problem will get worse until the unit will no longer agitate at all and there will be no more buzzing.Please let me know if you need any further information about this!
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.