Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

I just replaced the control circuit board on my washing machine,

Customer Question

I just replaced the control circuit board on my washing machine, now all the LED lights are flashing, how do I reset it.
MAKE GE
MODEL # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to help you!
First, what was the reason for replacing the board in the first place? Was it for the flashing lights? And does the flashing occur only when you try to press a button or does it just flash as soon as you plug it in? Does it flash with the lid both up and down?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I initially spelt a electrical burn smell, then the washer just guit. I checked the circuit board and there was a black burn spot on it, so I bought a new circuit board and put it in then plugged it in an now all the led lights are flashing. It continues to flash with the lid up or down.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Was there a red jumper wire on the OLD board?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. There was only two harness connectors to unplug.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The first thing you need to do is MAKE 100 percent sure that you have 120VAC (NO MORE) at the input to the controller and 0VAC give or take a few volts from neutral to ground.
The harness jumper I was reffering to would not normally be unplugged when swapping the boards, but would still be visible on the board . These MUST be transferred over and if the new board DOES have a jumper wire but the OLD board doesn't, then the jumper must be removed on the new board. There SHOULD have been an instruction sheet that came with the board , but I have found that really depends on where the board came from, because some suppliers get customer returns then resell to you and not everything ends up back in the box, if you know what I mean. That being said, if ALL connections have been made correctly and based on the flashing not coinciding with any interaction by you and resetting the system by unplugging for 3-5 minutes did not work, I have to say that you unfortunately have received a defective board. This does happen from time to time, and HOPEFULLY you got it from a supplier that takes returns on electrical parts, because many do not. This particular machine also had ALOT of problem with the electrical system with regards XXXXX XXXXX drive motor, which then caused problems with the controls in some cases. The ENTIRE drive system was redesigned and now even a new motor come with a lower wire harness, capacitor and so on. PLEASE check for the jumper and make the necessary changes if you need to, then you wil have to get that board swapped again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I double checked and yes there was a jumper wire and that fixed the flashing lights, now I went to do just a small load to test it. The bucket filled up with water and I hear the motor running but its not washing the clothes, could it be the belt?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
What happens when you put it in a drain/spin? Will it spin the wash basket?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It will drain, but it want spin

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Take a putty knife ad insert it between the top of the front panel and the bottom of the top panel in the front. There are spring clips located roughly 4 inches from each corner there. Engage them with the putty knife and pull out on the top of the front panel then lift the panel off of the bottom clips holdinfg it on to the bottom frame. You can now inspect the belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The belt looks good. I do smell the burnt electrical smell in that area also.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
IF THE MOTOR IS TURNING FINE under power, and the belt is ok, but you can see that the clutch is NOT turning with the motor, the clutch has likely failed and must be replaced. With the clutch removed, you can also check the main drive pulley to make sure you can turn it relatively easy in one direction (agitate) , then in the other direction(spin), it will turn with SOME initial resistance but one you get its speed up a little, will turn a little more freely. If its bound up in BOTH directions, you need to replace the gearbox. This is fairly common but a failed clutch is much more common.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Without removing the clutch, I was able to turn the belt freely clockwise, and it had some resistance when turning counter clockwise, but yet would still move.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hopefully you checked that the motor is running fine with that front panel off.
If you have verified that the motor is turning fine , and obviously the rest of the drive system sound like they are fine based on what you have said after checking, then you need a new clutch. Part # WH5X256 it is $170.10 from Sears. Unfortunately, there is nothing on a GE machine that is cheap, even though it looks like it SHOULD be cheap. This is ONLY because GE believes their stuff is better than everyone elses, but take it from me, NOTHING could be further from the truth, at least when it comes to appliances.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
actually, I turned the machine on again with the front panel off and seen that the motor is running but just not turning. When I physically turn the belt by hand I can see the clutch turning. So, is it going to be the motor that is bad, you think.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
What you can see on the outside of the clutch is the clutch drum itself and the attached clutch pulley, all one piece. Inside the clutch, the clutch pads are attached to and turning with the motor shaft. If you say that the motor is actually "running", not just sitting there and humming, which would then cause it to overheat and eventually trip the motor thermal protection which would cut the power to the motor until it cools off, then it is a clutch problem. Yes, you can ALSO have a motor problem , but at this point, you cannot RELIABLY tell until you put the motor under load which means you need a good clutch. You should remove the clutch and visually inspect the pads and drum, then you can also run the motor with NO load and see if you can detect any problems. Without any thermal trip happening in the motor, I have to say that the motor is operating at a normal temperature and current draw which means it is fine and you need a clutch. If the motor WAS bad, the only way to get the motor is by installing kit part # XXXXX which is $200.00 and has a motor, a clutch, a capacitor, relay, wiring harness and connectors so either way, the problem gets solved for around the same price, but the clutch alone is the most likely culprit here based on what you have said.

Here is a picture of the kit :

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The motor is just humming, does this change.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Like I said before, if YOU are sure the motor is NOT turning, even though YOU have verified that the drive system is not bound up in any way, then you will need to replace it with the kit I specified before.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for all your help and time. Much appreciated here.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Glad to help! Good luck with that repair and Thank you!