Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a Whirlpool Duet set. I washed three kitchen rugs, but

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Duet set. I washed three kitchen rugs, but forgot to use the 'bulky' option. So, it is stuck during the process and flashing F21. Did I kill my new baby? Thanks!

I got a floor model...last blue one they had in stock, and it didn't come with a manual.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
F-21 indicates a "LONG DRAIN" condition and the sound you are hearing is the pump trying to run in order to pump the wash water out, but my guess is that the rugs you washed were the type that have a rubber backing and that rubber backing (doesn't matter but this is the MOST common) , or other parts of those rugs are now caught in the pump cleanout filter so the machine cannot drain and therefore WILL not spin either. Not a problem. Just remove the lower front cover where you will see this :
graphic

The circular thing in the middle which i have circled is the pump cleanout. HAVE LOTS OF TOWELS NEARBY BECAUSE THIS CAN GET MESSY. Sometimes leaning the machine backwards roughly 45 degrees can help minimize the mess factor, but it will be messy no matter what, unless you have LARGE hose pinchoff pliers like we do . Remove the filter and clean it out. Also clean out the INSIDE of the pump cavity as much as you can, including the inside of the large hose voming from the tub as far as you can reach. Please try this and let me know if you need further information.
Thnaks! Eric
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the picture you sent the actual panel between the drawer and the drum? You're dealing with a blonde...
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, no that is actually the INSIDE of the machine BEHIND the panel that is ABOVE the drawer (I am assuming now that you have the machine on a pedastal) and just BELOW the door. There are two or three screws there to remove the panel. Sometimes they can be hard to see when the machine is on a pedestal but they are there. The picture is of an ACTUAL Duet series, but you MAY have a Duet SPORT. It is almost exactly the same except the filter look a LITTLE different, although it is still unmistakeable. if you give me your exact model number, I can get you mor customized pictures if you need them.The model number is XXXXX behind the door on the front frame of the washer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wfw9400ve01 and it's not a sport. Do you know what the screwdriver size is that I need? Thanks!
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
We use a Torx size T-20 but the screws have hex heads on them which I BELIEVE are 1/4" hex. Either one of those will work. Most people dont have torx bits but luckily the cool people at Whirlpool put hexes on all the screws in that machine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and it wasn't as messy as you had me prepared for.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Awesome! And Im glad the mess was minimal tooCool. That really is just a fucntion of how much water is still in the tub when you open the filter housing up. Now remember , with rugs, I always reccomend EXTREME caution with ANY front loader because this can and will happen with any front loader out there. I usually reccomend customers take those to the laundromat but GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!! I have only been succesful in convincing customers to go to THAT extreme a few times, but it really makes for great repeat business for me!! Wink
Thanks again and have a great night!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband gave me crap about the rubber backed rugs and said not to buy them anymore. I probably shouldn't have washed them. They are the 'basement' rugs...long ago in 'upstairs' condition. I really appreciate your help. Next time I'll request you! I am the handy person in the fam, so watch out! Now if you could only make my dog feel better so she'd eat.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
I have to agree with hubby on that point about the rugs ! It would be my pleasure to help you again in the future and another thing, as far as little doggy, why not try the veterinary experts here on Just Answer? They are ALMOST as cool as us appliance gurus and may be able to help you out!
Thanks again!