Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool GC1000 (garbage disposal). It only only

I have a whirlpool GC1000 (garbage disposal). It only only makes a humming noise when turned on. Is it just clogged or is there something else wrong with my unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan, ok you tried the allen wrench and did it move? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes the water moved. But the disposal did not turn on. It kept making the same noise.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
so you were able to move the wrech back and forth pretty easy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, pretty easy. It did have some resistance but nothing I would consider difficult.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok thats not good news, your starter windings in the disposal are shot, these cannot be replaced its part of the motor, unfortunatly you will need to replace the disposal, sorry i didnt have better news, these are not allot of money though if you can install this yourself its not bad, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a certain disposal you would recommend? I don't use it often. I have had this one for 4 years. Is the average life of a disposal?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well the newer one dont last as long as the older ones, 4 years is a short life but it does happen, the g.e. ones are good. Ibelieve they sell them @ Lowes, heres one gfc535f, Part 910179they sell these online @ for around $125.00, I would check Lowes though. thanks Bryan