Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I have a Maytag Performa Series washer that fills with water

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Performa Series washer that fills with water but will not agitate or drain water. It started about a month ago and I found that if I slammed the lid down it would work but now all it will do is fill with water. Can this be repaired? What is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like a bad lid switch. What is your model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know it just says Maytag and Performa Series. I just bought it last year.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Do you hear a click when you close the lid? Try looking for the model number under the back of the lid or on the top back of the washer in the center.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no click. MTW5740TQ0
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Part number 9 on this link sometimes bends and doesn't engage the lid switch. If you reach between the tub and top on the left side you can feel this part. If you bend it straight back, less than 1/4 inch that may solve your problem, if not you need a new lid switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

As I was feeling for the part you explained I noticed that a screw was missing and the other one on the lid was loose. Could this have been the problem? Either way it is working now. Thank you!

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it would have not lined up the hinge with the lid switch.

Your Welcome