Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

Whirlpool duet front load washer wfw8400tw01 -- I have new

Whirlpool duet front load washer wfw8400tw01 -- I have new control board and want to install.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to help you today!
I assume you are talking about the FRONT user interface control, not the MAIN controller which is snapped into the side of the cabinet, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Eric,
Yes, it's the front user interface that I have half off -- it has the same shape/configuration of the new CCU board I have from Whirlpool.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
To remove that front interface, remove the two screws, one in the bottom of the console and one behind the dispenser drawer (must remove the drawer by pressing the release tab)
graphic

then unsnap all of the tabs on the top edge of the console holding it onto the frame. There is also a locking tab on the inside/right/ rear of the console that you must unsnap.
Please let me know if you need further instructions.
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX go give this a try. If I need further help getting the CCU into place I'll follow up in a few minutes. But this has been a very satisfactory experience so far.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
No problem! Give it a try and let me know how it goes and if you need any further info!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a "trick" to getting the main knob off? It appears to be all that's preventing the old CCU board/housing from coming out of the front panel.

Also, is the socket for the CCU ribbon chord accessible once I remove the metal plate behind the plastic front panel? (I'm going to try to remove that panel now, though the locking tab hangs over it a bit.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Uh oh -- It appears that metal plate cannot come off w/out taking the entire top off. But the dryer is stacked on top! Can't remove by myself!

Can I instead remove the whole bottom front (which includes the door and its hinge) and then reach up to plug the CCU in its socket? It appears there are just four corner screws holding the front/door assembly in place.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
The knob should just pull straight off. There are no tricks.
Now, if you have the console assembly off, and are replacing the USER INTERFACE, which is the touhpad and led assembly NOT THE CCU, which is the central control unit (just making sure we remain on the same page here Laughing) , you should be a the point where your work looks like the picture. The metal fram piece did not need to com off with the console, but thats ok. The new UI board should have the cable connected to it, so you disconnect the UI connection from the CCU itself, then install the UI board and CONNECT the new board to the CCU.

graphic

Edited by Eric on 10/14/2009 at 5:14 PM EST
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
looks like you posted another reply while I was posting the answer to your first reply.You do not have to remove the metal plate todo this job, but the top DOES need to com off. I have never tried it with the dryer still on top and dont reccomend it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's the circuitry board (which came snug in its console) that I am trying to replace. This board/console looks just like the one I've separated (now that the knob is off -- thanks -- from the outside front panel -- the one with the user bottons.

I erred in calling the chord a ribbon chord -- it's just 7 small bundled wires with a common plug that goes through a hole in that metal panel. And it's the place where that plug goes that appears to be UP inside the machine behind the metal plate.

I don't really see how I can leave the existing wire-bundle plugged into the MACHINE and then plug it into the two places it appears to go into the new BOARD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see now about the need to remove the top. I'll get my brother-in-law to help me with that.

If you could please just confirm that the top is easy to get off (meaning it's not interlocked with the back or anything) and that the wire-bundle is easy to plug in once the top is off, I can log off -- with an "accept" for your excellent guidance -- and leave you to help the others.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Actually, you are right in that it does go inside the machine, that is where it connects to the CCU and that is where you must disconnect it, NOTat the UI board. Once you diconnect it from the CCU, you can then remove the entire wire assembly (harness) from any frame clips that may or may not be holding to the frame on the way to the ccu. The new UI board should have come with the wires already attached, and those just get fed back up through that hole in the metal frame and reconnected to the CCU.Are you simply dealing with an issue where you cannot clearly see this connection on the CCU because the dryer is still on top? I have enclosed another picture that will show you which connection point on the CCU to disconnect for the UI board.
graphic
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, looks like we cross-posted eachother again. The top comes off VERY easily, just remove the three screws in the TOP REAR of the machine, then SLIDE the panel BACK and OFF. Now you will have EXCELLENT access to everything on the top end inside the machine. As far as the wiring, it is very straight forward. You will not mess it up. Once the top is off you will see what I mean.