Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi, I have a GE Profile and when I look up into the water/ice

I have a GE Profile and when I look up into the water/ice dispenser i see mold! I cannot get to it because of everything in the way.
Also,the back plastic of the dispenser is cracked.
Is there any way that I can remove it to get all of this cleaned? And how do I clean it?
Thank you,
Anita
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
if you can get me the model # XXXXX would help, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have to leave for work, how can I contact you after 3:30?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sure i should be around just leave me a reply and I'll get it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for waiting, I didn't realize it was so late and had to leave in a hurry.

The model number is XXXXX WW

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok heres a diagram to start with. you need to pop part # XXXXX off first. this will pop off if you put a screw driver under the bottom and pry it out, then you will see screws to remove to get part # XXXXX out of the way, you will see how to get the rest off as you go. its not that bad. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it apart and am attempting to clean it. Will any thing work better than soap and water?

I don't want to close until I have it back together again.

Is there anyway that I can prevent this?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
try some vinegar and water, sorry about the delay in reply, I"m having computer problems, it keeps locking up. glad to hear you got it appart. thats great. i dont really know a way of preventing this though. moister gets up in there a does that, thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 10/14/2009 at 10:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ended up using soap and water and got most of it clean. There are a lot of little crevices that are hard to get into. I got it back together but there is something not quite right. Probably something with a spring. Everything looked right but the black rubber flap doesn't close by itself all the time. It does open and gives us ice, so at least it works that way! Will it hurt anything for the flap not to close all the way or do we need to reach in and push it closed each time?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well I wouldnt leave it open if you can help it, this will make the refrigerator run longer and you will get frost on everything in the freezer. if you get a chance make sure the spring is right and also check the soleniod and make sure its not rusted. this will also cause it not to close tight, this may start working all of a sudden too. maybe you just have to do it a few times, well wishes and please leave feedback its important, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does a soleniod look like and where is it located? My husband knows what one looks like in a car but not a refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
its part # XXXXX on the diagram. it has the silver plunger in it , this is what opens the flap,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for all of your help! This worked great! I will never get the dispenser in the door again. I can't imagine all of the mold spores that we drank!

I will definitely give you excellent feed back !

Thank you again!