Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

My side by side refrigerator freezer will cool only in the

My side by side refrigerator freezer will cool only in the bottom half of the unit.
HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you open the freezer door and "trick" the refrigerator into thinking that the door is closed again by pushing the door switch, you should hear a fan down in that area that is freezing.

If you don't hear this fan it may be the that the auto defrost is not working correctly and the fan has frozen up. You may also see frost or ice down there or behind that cover on the back wall (part 10a and 10 below). This would also show a problem with the defrost system.

When the fan freezes up from too much frost/ice it can not circulate the cold air thru the rest of the freezer.

Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

bernie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would this also go for the refrigerator part?

So, if the fan is frozen up do I just replace the fan?

HiCustomer

No, the problem is not usually the fan. It is most times the defrost system.

The old reliable test for this situation is to totally defrost the entire refrigerator. Unplug it and open the doors, use a fan to blow air into it and maybe a hair dryer. BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU USE A HAIR DRYER! Many have learned that the plastic inside the refrigerator will melt with a hair dryer. It can not be left inside unattended.

After the refrigerator is at room temperature, you plug it back in. The refrigerator should work correctly for a day (or for a month). If the frost comes back the defrost system has a problem and you would replace the components there.

If on the other hand, you are able to see that the defrost fan does NOT work after defrosting the refrigerator it may be that the fan IS the problem. Be sure you check that fan with the door switch pushed in.

The most common component to fail is the defrost thermostat. This usually has a bulge in it when it goes bad.

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=469522&SourceCode=4

There is also the heater that can fail-

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=469556&SourceCode=4

bernie